Hard time with rivers.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
xped
Participant
Participant

Hard time with rivers.

Post by xped »

Hey guys,

I have zero confidence when fishing the Rideau River...actually, any river! . Just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing...feel lost.

Lake fishing seems to make sense to me but the river doesn't. It shouldn't be much different...right?

I tried cranking and spinnerbaits to locate...not much success. I've then tried texas rigging worms and throwing jigs...not much success. Going deep, going shallow...clear.and also hitting weeds head on. Now I'm not getting skunked but I might as well be. It's really quite frustrating and I don't get all that excited when hitting the closest waterway to my home. It sucks since it's such a convenient fish source...well, for some it is.

My catch rate on Lower Rideau Lake versus Rideau River this year is somewhere around 5 times greater. Same waterway, same fishing techniques and baits...just a mere 80km away.

I know it has to be me and the way I'm NOT locating the fish. When fishing a lake, I try to come up with a game plan first by looking at topo maps and finding places that look fishy (drop offs, humps, points, etc). When I look at a topo map of a river, I don't get the same fishy feeling. Feels like I'm just winging it and wasting time on the water.

Anyone else experienced this or feel the same way. Any tips or advice?

PS: I'm fishing from a boat.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hard time with rivers.

Post by lape0019 »

With the exception of a few areas, I view the Rideau river as one big bad with a channel running through it. I fish the stretch bear kemptville weekly and no matter what day I go out, I start by fishing the weed line on the channel and work my way in. I don't use crankbaits often so a spinnerbait is usually my searching tool. As for what works, It depends on the day. I usually try something for 5-10 minutes and switch it out if it isn't working. Once I find something that works, I tend to stick with it.

Good luck!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Look for structure... in a river that is:

Boulders / bars and snags, transitions between fast current and slack water (seams), bends and oxbows in the river (think flats), docks, piers and locks (fish resting places), areas below rapids / falls (little fish get tumbled down and eaten), deep pools and submerged sandbars.

The only thing is you'll have to map it yourself or learn from experience as most rivers don't have a chart. If the bank is steep it's likely a steep drop off under water. If the bank is not there and just a big flat swamp you can bet the bottom is nice and flat also. It takes time but it pretty much the same as lake fishing.

Good luck -
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

lape0019 wrote:I don't use crankbaits often so a spinnerbait is usually my searching tool.
Well, I usually love using cranks but had to put them away fairly early as each cast was bringing in only salad as the main course. At least the spinnerbaits were making there way through.
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

MichaelGA wrote:Look for structure... in a river that is:

Boulders / bars and snags, transitions between fast current and slack water (seams), bends and oxbows in the river (think flats), docks, piers and locks (fish resting places), areas below rapids / falls (little fish get tumbled down and eaten), deep pools and submerged sandbars.

The only thing is you'll have to map it yourself or learn from experience as most rivers don't have a chart. If the bank is steep it's likely a steep drop off under water. If the bank is not there and just a big flat swamp you can bet the bottom is nice and flat also. It takes time but it pretty much the same as lake fishing.

Good luck -
Thanks for the tips, I will certainly look for these types of fishy river places next time.

By the way, if you go to the Navionics site and click on the webapp tab, you can see a pretty detailed topo map of just about every waterway around here. Make sure you click on the blue hi-def icon (looks like a speaker icon on the lower left part of the map) to see nice contour lines. I bring my phone with me and view the maps out on the boat...just need a little help trying to know which places are likely to hold the fish.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That is why I don't crank the area all that much. Plus I have only ever caught pike and walleye on a crank there. I do need a little more practice at it though.

Spinnerbaits are the ticket on that body of water. I try to go as natural as possible with my colors as well.

I sent you a pm with some basic info on the stretch I fish. Good luck and keep at it!
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

lape0019 wrote:That is why I don't crank the area all that much. Plus I have only ever caught pike and walleye on a crank there. I do need a little more practice at it though.

Spinnerbaits are the ticket on that body of water. I try to go as natural as possible with my colors as well.

I sent you a pm with some basic info on the stretch I fish. Good luck and keep at it!
When you say natural colours, do you mean like greens and browns? I was fishing white and black spinnerbaits today.

And what about size? I wss using 1/2 ounce.

Again, I appreciate the help!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

3/8-1/2oz in colors that match the baitfish. I primarily use sunfish or perch pattern with a double willow blade. Not saying Colorado blades won't work, I just don't have many of them. My gear ratio is 6.2:1 but I used to use 6.4:1.

Keep in mind that the water is still very stained. You can use a scent like gulp to help if you want. Once the water clears up a bit, you should be good with those colors.
cweatherell
Participant
Participant

Post by cweatherell »

I can see where you are coming from, what I do is focus on areas that others ignore. I usually take the canoe or float tube on the inside of weed beds while most others are fishing the beds beside the main channels. This morning was tough in the tube with fly rod but I managed to score after switching flies.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

We also have a love/hate relationship with the Ottawa River.
To me, rivers are harder to fish but will produce the numbers when dialed in correctly.
Lots of things to consider and understand, such as current break offs, bait fish, wind conditions.

Establishing a pattern is key.

We’ve had success on large flats where deeper water can be found within reach, cranking the weed line and varying your depth could produce fish.

If they’re not hitting the cranks, switch it over with a slow falling presentation, vary your lure weight accordingly (current, depth). Don’t shy away from smaller profile baits.

Rattles will help for murky water. If they can’t see it, they’ll hear it, go for the reaction strikes.

Keep at it! Part of the fun in fishing is locating them big’ol behemoths!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
xped
Participant
Participant

Post by xped »

Excellent information for me to use! Thanks a plenty!

Makes me want to head back out on the RR right now to try again!!! :D
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

xped wrote:Excellent information for me to use! Thanks a plenty!

Makes me want to head back out on the RR right now to try again!!! :D
When you go back, bring a BuzzBait. Guaranteed to work on the Rideau. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

xped wrote:My catch rate on Lower Rideau Lake versus Rideau River this year is somewhere around 5 times greater. Same waterway, same fishing techniques and baits...just a mere 80km away.
And there's your first issue..... They may share the same name but they are quite different when it comes to fishing.

Spinnerbaits can be good but if you want to catch big fish on these waters in the summertime, learn how to texas rig plastics and tie on a frog.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.