Wicked Tuna, Wicked Trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve_rauch
Participant
Participant

Wicked Tuna, Wicked Trip

Post by steve_rauch »

Decided to pack up the family and head out on a little trip. Something different and somewhere we have never been. One thing on the list was to go whale watching. We packed up and decided to stay down in New Hampshire for a week. Doing some checking around and went out on Cape Ann’s whale watching in Gloucester about an hour away. (A+ we were seeing whales within 10 minutes of being to the location 15 miles from shore)

Before the whale watching we had a few hours to kill. Being Gloucester I figured we should go walk around the harbour and see if I could find anything exciting. After stopping and chatting with the friendly locals, they pointed me in the direction that I needed to go.
About 30 minutes later I found this…
10462799_10154394358900364_257538099568999896_n.jpg
10462799_10154394358900364_257538099568999896_n.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
This was cool and got the juices flowing.. kept walking around and found the gift shop and asked some question about the guys from the show.. again very friendly and explained there was a huge Tuna tournament and it started the following day. She explained that there would be a few boats from the show in and around the harbor all weekend long..
The first boat we found was the Bounty Hunter, Captain Bill Monte. We were there for no more than 5 minutes and he stepped off the boat and came up to say hello. This guy is a first class act all the way. We were sitting there talking ..about fishing and shared a few stories and had a few laughs. I asked to grab a quick picture and then we were on our way. This guy was so awesome to chat with, made the day!!

Well after all that excitement my wife asked me if I wanted to return back the following day to see the weigh ins… I almost jumped up and down like a little kid!!!! The scales opened at 5pm. We showed up and 3:30… a bit early but wanted to be close to the action.. So as we are waiting there, an announcement is made.. there were 2 fish caught and being brought in… The juices are flowing again… and then at 7:30 pm the first boat finally shows up…. I was ready to call it quits at 6:00 but the wife and 3 kids insisted we stay to see a big tuna….
521.JPG
521.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3743 times
this little guy was around 830 pounds...

Not to be out done this other guy showed up with a fish too
this one was 913 pounds

Just had one question... I couldn't see captain Dave anywhere.... where was he???

oh there he was...
as it turns out he has a day job just like another guy i know....eh Rob :lol: :lol:
I had a quick word with him and lets just say he's not acting when you see him on the show. :roll: :roll: .. but hey the overall trip was just WICKED......
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Wicked Tuna, Wicked Trip

Post by LeGrand »

See, a wife has its use. Convincing you to stay put.

LOL

You and your family seemed to have had a great time. Guaranteed memories.

Thanks for sharing.

Those tunas are impressive.
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

I would have tried to get shanghaied onto one of those boats!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's wicked.. :lol:

Sandro is the key to Dave's success. I'd love to see him get his own boat going.

Never miss the show.

RJ
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

So what is with the big chunk out of that tuna?? They get hungry on the boat after they caught it and made Tune steaks??
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

They cut the gills out as they hold most of a fishes blood, then pack the fish with ice.

RJ
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

RJ wrote:They cut the gills out as they hold most of a fishes blood, then pack the fish with ice.

RJ

That makes sense. Thx RJ
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Steve that's being in the right place at the right time. Cool thing to see for sure, those huge tuna are insane. Couldn't imagine the winchin' it takes. :lol: