setting the hook

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Inglorious Bass
Participant
Participant

setting the hook

Post by Inglorious Bass »

New fisherman here seeking some advice/clarification.

I have landed a few nice SM and LM bass this year but I can't help think that I could be landing more and losing less. It seems it is always the larger ones that get away and I think I may have stumbled on the reason. However I figured "why not ask the experts just to be sure".

I was worried my hooksets and as far as I can tell my hooksets are technically good (point rod at bite, reel up any slack and then sweep rod up/back) but practice will help detect those lighter biters.

What I realised though is that when I have a heavier fish on, I panic a little bit and start worrying about not landing a big fish. Then, consciously or unconsciously I am setting the hook maybe twice more after the initial set (kind of like as insurance to "make sure" it is on) and I think that that is what is causing the problems. From what I can gather, it could be a) giving the fish slack line to work with, or b) widening the hole that the hook has made in the fish's mouth, making it easier for it to wriggle off.

Thoughts/advice.
toned
Participant
Participant

Re: setting the hook

Post by toned »

it's a bit of a trick question IMO...maybe someone will have a different opinion, but what I've found is that different presentations/hooks as well as your rod/line require different hooksets

if you're using something with treble hooks, such as a crank, and you are using a fast rod with braid for example, a hard hookset, you will rip it out of it's mouth...if you're trolling, you set it gently, cause they hit it while it's moving and usually hook themselves...if you're casting, you need to do a smallish hookset, but again, this depends on line, rod action and power...braid has 0 stretch, whereas mono has a ton...so that comes into play too, most crankbait rods are medium power for a reason, there has to be a bit of give...I am using extreme examples to give you an idea

something with a single hook (texas rigged worm, etc), you will need to give a good hookset, get that hook through the skin and the fish is not going anywhere...but keep in mind too how thick the hooks are, you set it too hard, are you going to bend the hook? (2/0 thin gauge can bend without much force).

just a few things to think about, I don't think there's one general way to set the hook, is all I was trying to demonstrate, and yes I did use extreme examples, but I am hoping to make a point
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I know the feeling all too well, don’t we all panic when hooking up on a behemoth?
Those Inglorious Bass’tards always get my heart racing, mind overthinking to a point where it all goes blank…especially when she jumps, that moment when you just stop in “Aawwww” as if the world stopped turning lo0ol

I’m no expert, but through the years I’ve come by a few tips that have helped me land the bigger fish.

-Drive that hook once and hard with single hooks.
-Sweeping hookset with cranks and/or topwaters.
-Keep them hooks sharp.
-Set your drag properly, let the fish run if it’s pulling.
-Try and keep that rod bent without over working the rod from left to right and right to left widening the hole.
-Pick up the slack line.
-Re-tie your knots often, the dinks (1lb’s 2lb’s) will eventually compress your knot under repeated pressure, the knot being the weakest point could snap when hooking up on a brute (note: applies to fluoro and mono mostly).

Last and not least, take your time, enjoy and have confidence in your abilities.

P.s. Land fish, take pic, post and repeat as needed ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

You've found it by yourself, nice going.
it comes with experience, learning to use your drag is also a great way to not lose fish.

it's all about not letting the fish get leverage on you.
Also I want to make sure you know that if you're fishing a bait with treble hooks, it's best to sweep the rod, to your side, ease into it and let the hooks to the work..

I'm trying to find a video on youtube, where Dave Mercer talks about it..
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

ShawnD wrote:You've found it by yourself, nice going.
it comes with experience, learning to use your drag is also a great way to not lose fish.

it's all about not letting the fish get leverage on you.
Also I want to make sure you know that if you're fishing a bait with treble hooks, it's best to sweep the rod, to your side, ease into it and let the hooks to the work..

I'm trying to find a video on youtube, where Dave Mercer talks about it..

Inglorious Bass
Participant
Participant

Great stuff!

Thanks guys, can't wait to get back out and experiment...
AZx
Participant
Participant

Post by AZx »

Timely post. I am just getting back into bass and walleye fishing after a stint in the world of fly fishing for trout. I was fit to be tied on the Big Rideau recently. Lost my two biggest Smallies of the day on their way to the boat.

This info should prove to be useful.

Thanks.
Inglorious Bass
Participant
Participant

This thread and the posted videos really helped me. This week I caught a beauty 3.5lb (19 inch) SM bass and my very first northern pike (6lb and 27 inches). Thx!