A presentation on Muskie populations by Dr. John Casselman

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sourdough
Participant
Participant

A presentation on Muskie populations by Dr. John Casselman

Post by Sourdough »

Been doing a little research over the winter (so this was new to me, maybe not to you). I heard tidbits about improvements in the muskie fishery, but being a transplant to this area I never realized the extent of the change until I stumbled across this presentation of the state of the N.A. muskie fishery by Dr John Casselman. Be warned, its about a half hour long, but the charts showing retention rates and average muskie sizes are incredible. Muskie fisherman in general, and groups like Muskies Inc and Muskies Canada in particular, deserve a big pat on the back for their incredible contribution to the improvement of the trophy muskie fishery. Koudos to them.

Hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWzThT61w7M

Sourdough

Btw. Dr John Casselman is presently an adjunct professor in the Queen's University Biology Department and is a former Senior Fisheries Research Scientist with the MNR. You can often find references to him in the articles published by Gord Pyzer.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: A presentation on Muskie populations by Dr. John Casselm

Post by BigC »

I actually got to see this presentation firsthand at the MCI annual meeting in February and found the idea of fisheries management by gender facinating.

Thanks for posting this and nice work hunting it down.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A presentation on Muskie populations by Dr. John Casselm

Post by RJ »

Been lucky enough to pick the brain of the Doc, really cool guy.

RJ