Muskie Creek is VERY QUIET

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Muskie Creek is VERY QUIET

Post by lapointeric »

3-4 yrs ago, we would have easily been in the double digits. You'd at LEAST feel place crawling with them, it was crackling with energy... whether it was seeing the double spinning waves as they moved to deeper water (into 6ft from 1ft), or the splash as they'd crush some bait fish, or better yet as they confidently cruised by the boat.

This time? Eerily quiet. 3 hook-ups and 2 in the boat. *note: I'm calling myself out on the EAP, this is just unreasonable*

Could FH lurkers have figured out where muskie creek was? Have they all been stung? It's opening weekend, hopefully there hasn't been THAT MUCH pressure on the creek just yet. There's the odd pike in there, but that's not a good enough excuse to go there on pike opener, anyone who's ever been there knows it's 1 pike for every 20 muskie.

We went last year too, and it was the same thing--dead quiet--nothing to report. I'm hoping it's coincidence, but I just don't have a good feeling about it. How much of it is my fault for posting pics? If somebody figured it out, the flood gates could have opened. Disaster.

We'll try again soon. Hopefully I can report back with better results.

E
Last edited by lapointeric on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butch420
Participant
Participant

Re: Muskie Creek is DEAD

Post by Butch420 »

Beautiful looking fish though...
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Where is this musky creek... everyone else seems to know you might as well just tell us lol :) :) :)
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

tbone1088 wrote:Where is this musky creek... everyone else seems to know you might as well just tell us lol :) :) :)
Well played. ;-) Still holding out hope that it was just an off day (or 2).

E
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Muskie Creek is VERY QUIET

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Fine looking skis. Must have been a blast. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Hey Eric,
Fishing musky in creeks is more popular than you think. Before you even started posting I was hearing of people fishing creeks for musky around here, and keeping their catch. The problem is that in FMZ 18 you can keep one musky over 36", and not everybody is as conservation minded as you and I are. So, I think somebody found your creek, brought some buddies a few times and limited out every time then could. I hope I'm wrong.

Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Yannick Loranger wrote:Hey Eric,
Fishing musky in creeks is more popular than you think. Before you even started posting I was hearing of people fishing creeks for musky around here, and keeping their catch. The problem is that in FMZ 18 you can keep one musky over 36", and not everybody is as conservation minded as you and I are. So, I think somebody found your creek, brought some buddies a few times and limited out every time then could. I hope I'm wrong.

Yannick

Oh for sure, I'm under no illusion that it isn't fished, we see lures hanging in trees and caught on logs (it would appear 99% of people fish it from shore). It's just the difference from the time we started until now is quite noticeable--which is why I tend to believe it was a result of my posts--but who knows... I hope it wasn't, but I'd feel awfully guilty if it was.

In fact, we just met a guy who comes up from the States to fish it. No idea how he found out about this place, but he said he's been coming up for 25 years. He was blown away that we got a tinny in there, nearly busted a gut laughing. He said he doesn't keep any (he's a biologist), but he told us about a few guys who kept a 38" incher to "see how it tastes"... So there's definitely "those guys" going and pulling fish.

E
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Good lookin skis bud, i think i know where you were fishing :lol:

I was at a musky creek with my bro on sunday and we caught more pike than anything but i had a decent 30 inch musky shake off at the boat and my bro landed a smaller one before dark. Can't wait to go back there, i need to land my first musky of the year!

Check your PM
Cy
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

That place has treated you well over the years dude!

Hopefully the fishing turns on but I wouldn't upset landing those ski's!!!

Nice report!!
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I think the creek is affected by heavy winters...I remember a few years ago talking to a fellow that stated in the spring there was a bunch of floaters after the ice went out.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

riverdog wrote:I think the creek is affected by heavy winters...I remember a few years ago talking to a fellow that stated in the spring there was a bunch of floaters after the ice went out.
That's a good point, one that I hadn't considered. With such shallow water, it probably takes a serious toll.

E
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Those are two beautiful fish! Nice markings and healthy.

I really hope it's not due to poachers, why the numbers have gone down. :( Hope to see your hunny hole fill up again