using a Hydro One corridor

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
loophole
Participant
Participant

using a Hydro One corridor

Post by loophole »

Got into a discussion last week about accessing a lake via a Hydro One corridor. One guy tells me that Hydro corridors are considered public and can be used by anyone even if they cross private land. Someone else tells me that I cannot use a Hydro corridor on private land without permission from the land owner. Who is right? I sent an email to Hydro this morning asking the same question. I'll let you know if Hydro sends me an answer. Does anyone out there know for sure?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: using a Hydro One corridor

Post by almontefisher »

I have used Hydro corridors for years to get to some back lakes and never had an issue. They did cross private land as well but I just assumed it was fine. Also was never stopped by the landowner bcause who the hell would be way out there watching for people to cross over their land...lol

Let us know the repsonse please.

Cheers
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

Hydro will have an easement that allows them to install and access their equipment on private property; this easement does not grant public access or use. I don't think hydro owns any property (specific to transmission lines, not sub-stations,etc); while they are allowed to cross private and Crown lands they would not be able to dictate access or use of that land. I wouldn't suggest trying to build a deer stand in a hydro stanchion though!

It is also possible for one land owner to have an easement over another private property to allow them access to it, but again that does not allow public use. I believe this is usually included on the deed to the property. My neighbor has deeded right to USE (traverse) my driveway to access his back forty; he is not allowed to modify it in any way or to use if for any other purpose (parking crap on it). He also does not have any say in what I do to the driveway unless I am hindering his access (i.e. padlocked gate and he does not have a key).
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Hydro replied to my question. In order to use the right of way I have to obtain permission from the owner of the property. Not what I wanted to hear, but it was what I expected.