Overdue Canal Report.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Overdue Canal Report.

Post by azabache »

Hello Fishawk team,

Been a loooong while but finally got some fishing in with Junior this Summer, plus we are both "learing the ropes" with baitcasters....!
It's been intersting as we have only used a spinning set for many years & after Junior beat me last year( Yes he did get more & bigger fish than the ol' man :o ) I kept my word & he has his bait caster-actually we have 2 identical Shimano Orange Caius ( his favourite color no less. :D )set ups on Sojurn rods.
Junior prefers a thin braid so he got his own Saguar Kanzen braid, I took the Abrazx fluorocarbon , as it sinks faster.
SUNP0042.JPG
SUNP0042.JPG (786.93 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
The Canal is full of weeds, grasses plus the usual "flotsam" where the fish hide & late afternoon, early evening seems to be the feeding time.
We have had most luck near or under the various bridges. This Year there is a lot less boat traffic, as the Canal tour boats run by Paul's Boats is no more, mostly recreational boaters are common & some times MNR patrols a boat during the fireworks & Civic Holidays.
With the nice hot weather upon us time is limited but Junior has the knack in no time , catching some Largies. Thanks to Fishawk Menber Biggs , the megabass bluegill 1.5 square bill crankbait gets them to bite, hard!
2014-08-08 13.22.45.jpg
2014-08-08 13.22.45.jpg (868.01 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
I have more luck on a River to Sea Biggie Smalls signature Chartruse/white /broken Black back pattern square bill .
SUNP0039 copy.JPG
SUNP0039 copy.JPG (827.65 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
I had read in a different post that dropshotting some small soft plastics to the middle is another way to success?
Will have to try this on the weekend. Soon I will have more fishing time with Junior & the Caius, I will be posting more reports & have more Questions for the Fishawk members..
Anyway hope everyone is having a good season fishing so far & hope to get the new Fishhawk hats soon too as I can see they bring good luck & bigger Fish!
PS. Sorry if the pics did not attach properly, having trouble loading them.

Azabache & Junior
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Overdue Canal Report.

Post by Lvace »

Very nice report!! The canal is a fun little mix bag of fish!! Junior bass is nice!!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Nice report! Keep them coming.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Nice to see the kids out fishing instead of playing on their phones or computers. :) Good on you guys. I guess your days of being the top dog in the fishing department are over. lol Keeo the reports coming
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Yeah I was on the canal / dows lake today and the weeds are crazy.

I had some success with chartreuse spinnerbait and a chartreuse buzzbait today.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a great time.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Great job az and awesome work junior. Keep it up and you will always beat pops.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

azabache wrote:Hello Fishawk team,

DUDE!

When a bass fills your hand like that... you know you got a good one!!!!

Fantastic city report, keep them coming!

*Suggestion*
Another good spot is from around Lees all the way to Main on the banks of The Rideau! I used to fish it a lot when I worked at St-Paul University at lunch time. Caught a butt-load of smallies from shore there. Also might hook into something a little bigger than a bass too!!

Craig