Jon Boat Info

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
michael601
Participant
Participant

Jon Boat Info

Post by michael601 »

This topic also posted in Boat Section
I have a 12 foot / 53 inch wide boat with a pointed bow that I'm thinking of trading for a 10 foot / 51 inch wide Jon boat. I need a boat that's really light and easy to load in a pickup truck, but I've heard that Jon boats are tippy and could be unsafe in choppy water. Anyone have any experience with Jon boats? Any advice on stability, tracking (I mostly troll) and any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Jon Boat Info

Post by Jul0682 »

I don't have a Jon boat but have you looked on YouTube for videos of guys that have them.. I would think they would be pretty stable but like said I don't have one... hope u get some answers u are looking for bud..

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Sorry, I've been meaning to reply to this one. I have a "Jon Boat" bought it last yr, and it's a 10' with 51"s across the back. I have had it out here in the city many times, as well out of Westport where my cottage was. In the city, I've had strong winds, but no real wave height to deal with. We took it out one day early July last yr, and it was choppy to say the least!!!!! Winds were high 50-60km's out of the SE. Now, keep in mind I am running a 55lbs thrust Minn Kota endura max with 2 batteries in the boat, 7-11 rods, my wife, and lunches etc. We are not breaking speed records, but stability your asking? I have stood in the front, flipped docks, wood, thrown long bomb casts with 1-Minus, jerk baits for smallies, jigged for eye's, and yes, trolled for muskie also. I made mods to my boat, put 2 rod holders on for trolling, a compartment for my boat safety gear, and my wife can still put it on top of the roof her self. We have a hybrid, not a truck. Loading what your after into a pick will be a snap. I find it easier with 2 people, but one person is very do able. I will never sell my boat. I could never have asked for a more simple, yet versatile craft. We fished from the canoe, but my wife has also said, this boat will be given to the kids before we ever sell it. It is rated for up to a 3horse motor, possibly a 5, but I am content with my electric, for it is put in the soup in the city, the cottage or a day trip away, and I am beyond happy with the speed I get, and the comfort and stability with 2 adults, plus our son has been out with us too.

Hope this helps, and your welcome in the coming season to meet me in the city on a weekend, and go for a fish, or even to get a feel for this type of boat before you make a purchase.

F.F
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

I have a 14 foot "cartopper" lightweight jon boat. So it is a smaller 14 footer, only rated for a 10hp weighs 90ish pounds, I've seen other 14 footers that are rated for 20s and 25s.

I also have a 12 foot pointed bow aluminum and a big 16 foot aluminum side console.

I can tell you the job boat is excellent for some things but is not a sea worthy boat... I use it for small lakes as it fits in the bed of the truck and is extremely fishable and stable under calm conditions, two or 3 can easily stand and cast. I also have a blind for it and use it for duck hunting, if you pull it up onto land or dense marsh it is stable as can be and hunting 3 guys out of it is pretty safe.

As for seaworthyness it just does not cut waves properly and I'd take my 12 footer over it anyday on a rougher day on large waterbodies like the Ottawa River or Big Rideau.

Also it does get blown around pretty badly in high winds, it was unreal driving around in high winds on a small lake I duck hunt last fall, with the blind on it was moving sideways as fast as we were moving forward! Again no shape to the hull to "grab" the water. At 4AM this was a pretty dangerous situation...
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I can only agree, with FC. I am not saying my boat is a big water body boat by any means. I use it for small river systems, I.E The Rideau in the city. For back waters, small systems, and bays, I love my craft! Not on a bigger body of water by any means. I will hug shore lines, or try to be in more sheltered waters. It handled quite well in Westport, and in the city, but I was never to far from land, or if weather was to bad, I either never launched, or stayed to sheltered water. In the conditions I have fished, I would ask for nothing better, but, I am not going trolling The Ottawa for muskie either :shock: I have had it out of Petrie, but kept to back bays and the inside of the points in the area.

F.F