Parking when camping on boat in sites

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Parking when camping on boat in sites

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out if I'm being too paranoid here. I often camp out/fish on back lakes on crown land. I've never camped on any boat in sites as I'm too worried about leaving my truck alone in the woods in fear of it being vandalized, so I just camp off of logging roads near lakes etc...

I've even gone to great lengths of parking the truck at a friends place and then taking the quad and trailer with boat 10+ km on the highway then into bush to camp out and fish on an atv access only lake! Am I being crazy? Who out there leaves there vehicle in the woods and goes off in a boat for 2-3 days? My truck isn't new but far from a beater, it only takes one bad guy to ruin a weekend! My buddy's truck got vandalized arpund Sudbury in a similar situation and that made me feel sooooo much worse...
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Parking when camping on boat in sites

Post by Troutskiii »

I have never had an issue up in the lanark highlands with leaving my truck parked for a few days while camping/fishing on an island or boat in campsite. Out of sight out of mind, don't leave anything visible inside the truck or in the box and give anyone reason to get curious.

I think no matter where you go you will always get one idiot who will ruin it for everyone.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

That is a really great question and concern.

Let your gut help you in this one. When you head in to an area, have a look around for debris. Tim Hortons cups and empties, will certainly dictate if I will leave my vehicle unattended.

If I notice the area is not vandalized or signs of people making fires at the end of a road or clearing, it tells
Me it is likely not a 'hang out' for some of our future leaders :{.

And as mentioned above, empty all of your valuables, even documents from the vehicle, so your address is not easily attainable. The police can run your plate and get your address, if they need it.

speaking of that, let local MNR, and OPP aware your vehicle is not abandoned and indicate when you will be returning. You'd be surprised, if aware they may go for a little drive to ensure you and your vehicle are ok. These folks hunt and fish too and will respect your preparedness. It will be refreshing for them. May even offer you a tip if it is a spot they frequent.
Cheers and good luck!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Two-Feather
Participant
Participant

Post by Two-Feather »

let local MNR, and OPP aware your vehicle is not abandoned and indicate when you will be returning. You'd be surprised, if aware they may go for a little drive to ensure you and your vehicle are ok. These folks hunt and fish too and will respect your preparedness. It will be refreshing for them. May even offer you a tip if it is a spot they frequent.
This is good advice Kerrazy.

You could also set up a trail cam to help catch the culprits should your vehicle get vandalized.

JD
The Don
Participant
Participant

Post by The Don »

Just a quick FYI.....I had my boat trailer stripped of the spare tire and the jack , last year at the Madawaska launch, behind the old Boeing plant...I reported it to the OPP etc...Next time I went down about 2 weeks later guess who was parked there having a coffee....Yup the OPP.......So the above advice is "great" advice.....
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the advice. The spot I'm planning on parking is certainly a popular spot but many people leave their vehicles there unattended while they camp at the boat in spots. I do also have a less popular spot in mind but it is more of a drive. The plan is to leave the turbo diesel at home and borrow my dads greasy old suv. I feel that would be less of a target than my turbo diesel

Letting the MNR and OPP know sounds like a pretty good idea too. I may try this.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

Hey, I frequently park my vehicles atboat launches up there. Usually I park it at wabun/madawaska boat launch. I can tell you that there can be alot of hooligans up there. They usually play their music real loud and act all stupid but seem to have a genuine respect for other people's vehicles which I find surprising because they definitely do not respect the forest there. I've left all sorts of vehicles there from old beaters to brand new SUVs and never had a problem. Remember to keep all valuables outofit.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Not sure where you're planning on going?? :?

I've left my vehicle parked for a few days at the 'parking lot' on the east end of
Big Gull Lake with absolutely no problems, usually a few vehicles there as well. 8)
Lots of AWESOME sites on that lake!! :shock: :mrgreen:

Have heard both good and bad reports from public launch/parking lot on south
end of Crotch Lake, but I've not had personal experience at that one ( I always
launch/park out of Tumblehome Lodge, costs a few bucks but worth the added
security as far as I'm concerned) :wink: 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

I'll probably be going to Wabun, it'll be towards the end of this month so I'd like to think it'll be a bit more quiet as far as campers go but I'd imagine there will be atleast a group or 2... I almost always see cars parked there who's owners are out camping on a boat in site, so that makes me worry a bit less but you never know.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

fishingcarpenter wrote:I'll probably be going to Wabun,
Wabun! Wow, the last time I was there was in the early 90's when a bunch of us phoned in sick one day and went for a tour. It seemed like a nice enough lake although we didn't get any Greys. Mind you the guys in the other boat got right hammered and didn't fish much at all. One guy literally fell out of the boat about 15 feet from shore back at the launch. Hilarious at the time. I recall saying that we should have trolled the high cliff run, which we didn't.

So what's it like there nowadays? I do remember it being somewhat messy with garbage lying around. I guess some things will never change, specially with an easily accessible lake like Wabun. I heard one story 10 or more years ago about some nice fish being caught through the ice. They sure don't stock it much anymore for some reason. Do folks still fish for and catch Lakers?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

I barely ever see people fish there. I have caught the odd rock bass there and quite a few monster perch!
calaboggler
Participant
Participant

Post by calaboggler »

I've seen people fishing at Wabun lots of times. I've caught perch no lakers. Always a crowd of youths at the launch and a lot of trash. Mostly friendly though and they didn't mess with my truck ever. (but you just need that 1 guy on a bad bender and your good luck streak's over). MNR put signs no camping. These are ignored. Been a couple years but road in was like a highway compared to 10+ years ago when you needed 4x4.