Flouro leaders Just Curious

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Flouro leaders Just Curious

Post by Troller »

Hi all,
Every year I like to try something different. I fish mostly bass in my lake. This year I would like to experiment flouro carbon leaders for drop shot and wacky rigging on my lake and perhaps other applications too. The main species in my lake are bass, walleye and pike. I am wondering if anyone else uses this line and for what applications and also how you tie it ? I have 20 lb flouro carbon to make worm harnesses. On my lake I mostly use Mono line and I have a couple rods loaded with braid line.
Last year I wanted to get myself more familiar with plastics applications and it worked extremely well for me using Mono.

Thanks and tight lines!
Dave
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Flouro leaders Just Curious

Post by curls »

I always use fluoro leaders for dropshot. 20# braid mainline with a 6-10' 8# P-Line CFX fluoro leader material as the leader.
I use the Crazy Alberto knot to join mainline to leader. I find it quick and easy to tie and extremely strong. I may experiment with the "FG Knot" this year as it appears even thinner and stronger.

I have used heavier fluoro on jigs/t-rigs and wacky rigs, with 40-55# mainline braid and 20-25# fluoro leaders. I didn't like it and had a few breakoffs at the terminal tackle side knot. I did not notice a difference in the # of bites with fluoro on those applications, as they're primarily reaction bites. With dropshot, the fish could have a good look at your presentation in clear, weedless water, so many people think line visibility (or invisibility) is paramount for these applications.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Thanks for the info Curls. I will give it a try.
I appreciate you input
Dave
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I use floro for everything.

Under 10lb test - Drennan.
Over 10lb test - Seaguar, sometimes Maxima or P-Line.

Knots - Uni-to-uni almost always, sometimes albright.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

30 lb braid to 12 lb Fluro via Uni to Uni knot is what is tied on all my Senko rods that get flung into your lake... :lol:

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Good question.

I use a variety of fluo/braid and mono/braid combinations from 5lb to 17lb depending on what type of presentation I‘m using.
Mono floats, fluo sinks. I use this to either slow down the lures drop or speed up the lures drop. I join all my lines with the uni to uni knot. This is a great knot, once you learn to NOT over tighten the braid portion of the knot.
Although a lot of folks think of dropshoting as an ultra finesse clear, deep water presentation…..and it is, but by no means is that all dropshoting is. I use 3 different rods for dropshoting and at this point there is no body of water or type of cover that an angler can not be successful at dropshoting.

My light D/S rod has 10lb Suffix 832 braid and either 5 or 7lb Suffix Fluo leaders.

Senko rod has 20lb braid and 12lb mono at this point.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I use braid fluoro leader combos in a variety of configurations from my surfcasting rig 30lb braid to 50lb Seaguar fluoro shock leader (uni to uni) to my two hook weird bottom fishing rig that involves 30 or 40 Braid, 50 Seaguar Fluoro Leader and 25 Seaguar Fluoro line and a bunch of snaps and swivels and weights (don't ask but it works well for me).

My applications are a bit different than what you were asking about but in all those combos I use leader fluoro for lures and regular line fluoro for hooks (bait). A 25 lb Seaguar fluoro Leader is pretty stiff compared to their 25lb fluoro line. For bait/still presentations I find the soft line to be preferrable.

Rod
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I use braid/fluoro for almost all inland applications. Some exceptions but It helps significantly in clear water.

If you run a braid/fluoro combo, keep in mind your drag should be set a little on the lighter side. Hooksets don't need to be as swift as with a full mono or fluoro system either.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Wow, Thanks for all of the great info Guys!.
I am looking forward to trying some different setups for sure.
Cheers,
and good fishing!
Dave
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

I also use the Flouro/Braid combo on all of my rods. I use 20# braid for bass/pike/walleye and switch the leader weight/length for what I'm fishing that day.

I connect the two using perfection loops on each line in a handshake knot. I find this the easiest/quickest to tie and you can switch leaders without retying the braid.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Thanks Tmacinc,
I like the knot combinations you use too.
Cheers