Big Rideau . . .

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Big Rideau . . .

Post by NMG »

Hit the Big Rideau today and caught lots of small fish, but nothing of size. I think the final tally was 2 Smallmouth, 1 Largemouth, 2 Rock Bass, 1 Perch and a pile of Bluegills. I only took fly rods with me today and the wind was pretty steady, so I tried to tuck in behind some sheltered shorelines and fish the shallower stuff. All of the fish were caught in under 6 feet of water on wooly buggers and other leech type patterns.

There were lots of guys fishing for Lakers, but I didn't see anyone get into any fish.

One thing I did notice in the shallower spots were loads of what looked like giant algae balls forming on the bottom and into the middle of the water column. Some of these things has to be 4 or 5 feet across and 2 or 3 feet deep. Any idea what they were?
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Big Rideau . . .

Post by CBB »

Congrats on the fish and we are getting that green slim all through the water column on the Larry also and tons of weeds
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Algae bloom. Very common as the water hits near 80 degrees.

RJ
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

NMG wrote:Hit the Big Rideau today ...

There were lots of guys fishing for Lakers, but I didn't see anyone get into any fish.
I caught two Lakers on Monday.
Then I headed to launch to pick up my young lad and take him out for a couple hours of shallow fishing on Lower Rideau for whatever was hitting. :D
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

OntarioRider wrote:
NMG wrote:Hit the Big Rideau today ...

I caught two Lakers on Monday.
Then I headed to launch to pick up my young lad and take him out for a couple hours of shallow fishing on Lower Rideau for whatever was hitting. :D
Awesome :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks for the info on the algae bloom. I've never quite seen it like that before. Back home when we'd get the odd bloom, it would look like tiny plant flakes all through the water column. These things looked like alien pods that were about to hatch something, LOL. Must just be the type of algae.