Trolling motor battery question?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Trolling motor battery question?

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey gang, I've got a question or need opinions on a new battery. I'm running a 55lb thrust Minn Kota "Transom Mount" I currently am using 2 batteries. 1 at am time, for my little car topper. I have a "Nautilus" and A "Duracell" I have a Nautilus trickle charger, which charges both just fine, but here is my question. The Duracell, is a frigging truck tire! Weight wise, and never reads a "Full charge" The Nautilus will read a full when it's charged. I am going away for 2 weeks, and was thinking of grabbing a new battery to re-place the Duracell. I never get a full day out of one charge on either. Now, this is my main source of power to my boat, for it is only a "Jon Boat" and the lake I fish is quite small, but enough water to fish out of my boat, would take me wayyy more than a day to target all area's I like to fish. If anyone had any idea's or recommendations, I'd love any feed back!

F.F
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Re: Trolling motor battery question?

Post by tacklebox »

I went to Total Battery on Iber road in Kanata bought the battery they recomended for my fish finder and transom mounted 50 lb thrust motor when charged it shows about 14 volts and I do the electric alot with two of us in it seems good for a couple of days maybe more be sure and take your old batteries in with you ...tacklebox
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I second the choice of Total Battery on Iber Rd. I bought one after my second Nautilus crapped out 5yrs ago. I can run the full day using it on my 14' tinny w/30lb thrust trolling motor...no probs. Check 'em out Float...you WILL NOT be disappointed! :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
joepile
Participant
Participant

Post by joepile »

other thing I'd consider buyinb if I were you is a small solar panel for a trickle charge while you're on the water - I have one for my boat (2 marine batteries hooked in parallel)
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Your problem is not the batteries but your charger. It is not made to fully charge a battery. Trickle chargers are designed to maintain a charged battery over a long period of time.
Get yourself a proper smart marine deep cycle battery charger (not one for a car battery - they are different).
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Hey Larry, my charger is a "Nautilus" Charger. It's at the cottage, so un sure of the actual make. I've always wondered if it was my charger! Thanks for the replies all, I'm going to call Kanata on Friday, and see if I'm using the wrong charger also. I've got a short window, for we leave on Monday the 17th for 2 weeks.

Thanks all, and any more input is beyond welcome!!!!

F.F
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I'll be contacting Total Battery tomorrow, I see there is one by Train Yards. Thanks so much to all who have helped!!!

F.F
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Another option for you to consider is a CTEK charger. I bought one at Total Battery in Nepean and I'm glad I did. Ask them how it differs from a conventional trickle charger.
BoosterMcCall
Participant
Participant

Post by BoosterMcCall »

Another nod towards Total Battery. Bought my trolling and starter battery there a couple of years ago. I've also got one of the CTEK chargers, and like it. It's not the fastest charger as it goes through various cycles during charging. However, If I recall, one of those is repair where it makes the plates vibrate to clean them. Not sure how true that is, but seems to give the battery a full charge for a day on the water.