Last Minute Ice Hut Rental - Outfitter cancelled last minute

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Whateverbites
Participant
Participant

Last Minute Ice Hut Rental - Outfitter cancelled last minute

Post by Whateverbites »

Hi all,

Not sure what else to do. I had a nice weekend on an overnight ice hut rented with Irish Creek Outfitters and he literally just cancelled less than 24 hours beforehand.

I have convinced 4 mostly non-fisherman to do this, they've bought licenses, booked time off work, we have all our food bought. And now nowhere to go.

I've called Joe Ballas, Adam's Outfitters and Yannick. All booked, understandably as it is the best freaking weekend of the winter. Needless to say I am pee pee.

Does anyone know anyone within a couple hours of Ottawa that might have a hut that can accommodate 5 guys last minute? I feel terrible organizing this and then killing everyone's weekend last second.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Last Minute Ice Hut Rental - Outfitter cancelled last mi

Post by toobinator »

That really bites. What reason did he give for cancelling?
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

I'd also be curious to know the reason for the cancelation, as I know how hard it can be to organize a group trip, not to mention get kitchen passes from the wives. I bought a group on for that outfitter a few years ago, but unfortunately wasn't able to arrange a date with him to use it after several calls. I ended up getting a refund from group on, but the whole experience was rather disappointing.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I would be severely ticked off at them for cancelling. Makes me wonder if they didn't boot you so some of their buds could get in.
Be sure to leave a comment on their website and on trip adviser for sure.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Maybe too late now, but I noticed Adam had a post about on overnite cabin that just became available for Sun/Mon.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Whateverbites
Participant
Participant

Post by Whateverbites »

Hi thanks for the posts and sorry for catching up late.

The outfitter (Irish Creek) stated that there was a lot of wind on the lake that covered his ice road and made it impossible for him to access the shack. Said it wasn't his fault and he couldn't help the weather.

This makes no sense to me as he should have a plan to clear snow or should just use a snowmobile to deliver anything to the shack. It's the Ottawa River, nothing is that far from land that you couldn't transport it there. Or just have all the stuff at the shack to begin with. Either way it makes no sense since he's running an ice shack in February. I'd understand if there was an unreal blizzard, but it was just some wind. There's always wind on the ice.

When I talked to Adam/Yannick they said I was not the only one that had been cancelled by Irish Creek last minute. I'm thinking he took a bunch of bookings without having his act together, couldn't deliver, then just cancelled last minute with a bogus excuse. Apparently he has done the same thing in the summer season when guiding and people have been irritated.