Need info on Fishing Lake Superior (Agawa River) for Fall

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jammiran
Participant
Participant

Need info on Fishing Lake Superior (Agawa River) for Fall

Post by jammiran »

However, I sincerely could not find anything satisfactory in terms of what I was looking for.
To be more precise, I, and a couple of mates are trying to plan a week up at Lake Superior Park early to mid September when the tributaries that run into Lake Superior from the park are teeming with migratory brook and rainbow trout and are accompanied by pink, Coho and Chinook salmon.
We will be tenting in the park and because we are trying to keep our overhead very low we will be simply looking for places to fish from shore with hip-waders.
The only place that I know of that is perfect for this is the Agawa River but we are interested in searching for a few more spots and we are simply not familiar enough with the area to find some suitable spots.
I understand that anglers don’t usually like to share spots – especially when it comes to brook trout.
Has anyone here had any experience in the area or knows of a resource that I can consult for this?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Jammiran
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Need info on Fishing Lake Superior (Agawa River) for Fal

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Where to start...I've fished the Superior tributaries for more than 30 years, spring and fall.

First of all, just so you don't have any misconceptions, these tribs aren't exactly "teeming" with fish. Day for day, I can catch a lot more trout and salmon on Lake O tribs in the middle of the GTA, like the Credit or Bronte. It's the majesty and wildness of the place that keeps me coming back...but certainly not the quantity of fish. The rivers are challenging to time, read, and wade...not the best place for beginners. However, best part of all...you will never see a "No Trespassing" sign.

Not sure when you want to go...but there are distinct seasons...
Pinks in August/early Sept....Chinooks late Aug/Sept...
Steelhead Nov/Dec and late April/May/early June...
Coho are pretty well non-existent in fishable numbers..
Brookies ....under 12'' residents in smaller streams year round, Coasters that run up from Superior can be found spring and fall in the tribs, but they really are rare jewels (literally and figuratively).

Timing is everything...if its been raining for awhile, the rivers can be blown out, if hasn't then they're low and dry and everything stays in the lake.

There are really no "secrets spots" to reveal. Only one road slices across the north-east shore of Superior...Hwy 17, the trans-Canada. No side roads, no concessions, with exception of some logging trails and goat paths...nothing. So all you can really do is park near the highway bridge, and hike either downstream or upstream...generally, the further you hike, the better the fishing. Most if it can involve some serious bush whacking...a machete can be very useful.

Some spots to get you started...south to north...study topo maps and it will make sense

Garden River...this is actually a Huron trib, but it is well north of the Soo....bigger fish than Superior..best in Sept for Pinks and Chinooks (and even Pinooks !), late Oct and on for Steelhead. Access from the logging road that takes you in a few km off Ranger Lake Rd . (up by Searchmont Ski Resort). Nice riverside camping spots..would be my go to in early Sept for numbers

Chippewa R.... fish right at the highway below the falls, and the runs downstream from the bridge....mostly late fall and spring Steelhead, but some salmon are around in early fall.

Pancake R....follow the logging road on the north side of the bridge...hike into the falls, and fish downstream...a bit of everything

Speckled Trout Creek...small stream...good for early Pinks, need to time it perfectly for Steelhead

Sand R....fish it below the falls right at the highway for migratory fish...some good resident Brookies above the falls

Old Woman R...the further you hike upstream the better

Michipicoten R...one of my "go to" later in the fall, but Sept can be surprise you...Hydro road on north side to Scotts Falls Hydro Dam... big water, always something around, year round

If you want to travel even further north..hit the Steel River...hiking trail on north side to the Hospital Pool (appropriately named). Best river fishing experience this side of BC.

Good Luck ! It will take a few trips to figure things out. If you're not willing to put in some footwork, you'll be disappointed. Google Gord Ellis..he has written some good aritcles on this part of the world.

Btw, I've fished the Agawa many times...just haven't had much luck. However, I know other folks that do well there. There is a Parks Service road on the south side that will take you to some nice pools upstream.
The tug is the drug..