Ice Fishing Petawawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bigcvin
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing Petawawa

Post by Bigcvin »

Hey Guys, I go to Petawawa for work once or twice a month and I was wondering if anyone knew of nearby lakes or bodies of water that have decent fishing and walkable access. Not looking for hot spots, just looking to get out on the ice when its ready instead of sitting in the hotel room.
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Fishing Petawawa

Post by Piscivore »

Well, I'm not the best source for ice fishing in Petawawa, but I grew up around Chalk River which is only another 15 minutes up the highway. So I will tell you what I can. First disclaimer, you've got your reading cut out for you anyways, check the regs. FMZ 15 is the longest and most complicated section in the province, and I can't be sure what is current! I don't know how far you're willing to drive but there are a few lakes I've been planning to check out. Lake Dore has great crappie fishing and mink lake has some whitefish to chase, the bonnechere river lakes have some respectable walleye. You can also hit the top end of muskrat lake. I didn't do as much ice fishing when I was young, but we would go onto the Ottawa River in front of Deep River for walleye and pike. I don't know what the Ottawa is like closer to Petawawa, but it is a little narrower and has more current. I'd check for an ice fishing derby in Pembroke to find a spot near there. I will also ask some family up there about it over the holidays, but with covid I won't be seeing many of them this year. I don't know if you are working on the base or not, but the last tip for you is Montgomery lake. There used to be a scout camp called fort pine on cfb Petawawa. It is on the Petawawa river system and it had good walleye. If you can negotiate access, that is a spot I'd go to!

Good luck, hopefully somebody else has more recent first hand experience!