Ottawa Sportsman Show

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa Sportsman Show

Post by Rider23 »

Was anyone that the show :?: just wondering if there are any deals on stuff or if it's worth going to. :?
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

There are some good deal's to be had. Most place's were eating the tax at least. I managed to pick up a sweat reel that was puchased from (Float Fishin). " Thank's again bro" :D ... It is an Okuma ID400 with an 8 ball bearing system for $130.00 tax inc. Can't wait to try it out :)

As for the show unless you are looking for a boat , I would not recomend it. If it is fishing gear your looking for , wait for the show in carp. It was $5.00 to park at landsdown and $12.00 to get into the show. :roll:
Braeside
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa Boat and No Show

Post by Braeside »

I'm likely being grumpy and should go, but was so not impressed by last years show I can't see myself spending even the admission. I hope to hear good things about this years show.

Looking forward to the show at Carp in April

Cheers!
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Just a bit of advice guys, save your money. I was disappointed with this years show. I did see a few hats walking around and I got to meet the infamous Floatfishin but overall very disappointed. My advice would be take your $17 (12 for admission 5 for parking), put some gas in your car and take a drive out to Ed's. He apparently has some great sales on right now :!:
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
Braeside
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa Boat and No Show

Post by Braeside »

Coming the distance from Deep River to a bad show certainly adds injury to insult. :!:

I'm having a 40's moment, and am embarrased to ask. Where is Ed's? :oops:

I see a certain fishing/hunting shop in Nepean is open today from 11:00 to 4:00 and they are eating the tax.

Cheers!
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

Thanks guys, Advice taken :!: I'll take the 30 bucks and buy some new PowerPro : )
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

ED's is in Winchester.."Paddletales" worth every second of the drive.

Braeside..fromyour place drive up through Manotick....then on to HWY 31 turn South till you see Winchester. Turn left and go down to the flashin light . Turn right and it will be on your right hand side.....it's in the back of the Video Store. it will take you about 40 mins from Kanata....
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

I went to both Ed's and the sportsmanshow! I have to tell you if your going to look at boats, go the the show, deals everywhere! However if your looking for tackle, go to Eds, I found so much stuff at Ed's it wasnt funny! Thanks for breaking the bank Ed :P

Ed's is definately worth the drive!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I'd have to agree with the overall consensus. I attended the Sportsman Show once years ago and was disappointed back then. It should really be called a Boat Show with a scattering of other outdoor activities. Personally if you're looking for a great Sportsman Show, you still can't beat the Toronto one it you don't mind spending the time/money to go. If it's strickly fishing you're interested in I'd suggest the Carp Valley Fishing Show (April 8-10, see Fish-Hawk calendar). It was definitely worth the drive and admission last year.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Hi all

I did went yesterday meet some off you and it was nice,,,,good deal on boats and all.............but i would think it a bit to mutch off an entry fee
12 b is to mutch,,,,,,,and the parking jeeeee,,,,,,they would get a lot more people if it woulb be free,,,,,,,,,,

THERE a boat show in gatineau this weekend and next weekend,,,,,,,,
ITS FREE TO GET IN AND FREE TO PARK'''''''''''''' :wink: at the promenade de loutawais.....................

there is good deal there,,,,,,,,, :wink:

and me to can t wait for carp show,,,,,,,,,,,,

there is one in orleans to i think soon and one in aylmer so there is alot off boat show and there are no cost,,,,,,,,,,,,,more money for lures :wink:

But its always nice to see you guys,,,,,,,,,,,

take care and see you on ice or water soon,,

joco :P
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

joke

Post by Graembo »

save your $$ ....they'll be lucky if i go back in ANOTHER 5 years....nothing but a joke all around
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

So it's as great as ever eh???... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I was gonna drive a hundred miles to check it out. I passed on it, sounds like I did the right thing. I would have liked to have met some of the posters here.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

just dandy

Post by Graembo »

I went on thursday eve (half price) and parked ont he side streets.....and I'm still bitter about it....waste of time energy & the $6 to "get in"....

....even if i'd taken a blue felt-tip and drew the happy face stamp....it'd still hav been a rip-off!!

...gas$$ to the paddletales is much better spent ( and ganman he's closer to ya too)

G
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I went to both Ed's and the Sportsman Show. The Sportsman show was about as good as I expected (my expectations were not high), unless you were buying a boat, not that many great deals on fishing stuff, but if you consider the expense to rent booth space, transport all your tackle and display equipment....etc.... I wouldn't expect businesses to be giving the stuff away. I did get to talk to lots of people at the show and my daughter and I got to spend to afternoon together climbing in and out of boats, dreaming of our next year's purchase. It did cost $17 but a 2 hour movie for myself and daughter would cost more. So we had a good afternoon!!!

We went to Ed's after for some deals, a Falcon Spinnerbait box (sweet, check them out, more $$$ than Plano, but much better design), a new reel for my school's raffle and a Fish Hedz mask for me!!!!

All in all a great day at both places!!!

One general comment I will make (and I know some people will disagree) but I have talked to others about this and many other people agree. In checking out fishing boats over the last 2 years all over Southern Ontario, I am amazed by the general lack of knowledge of many salespeople (I am not talking about the Prostaff guys, but full-time paid salespeople) have of the boat brands they sell. Things such as construction methods, materials, features, warrantee specifics....

I have talked to some very knowledge salespeople and have gained a wealth of knowledge, but I would say a large portion of salespeople know less about the makes of boats they sell then I can read about in the catelogue.

I worked retail and retail management for a number of years, and I would have fired many employees if they had such a low level of knowledge and customer service about the products we sold.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if I offend anyone.

JimW