Boat in the Water

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Boat in the Water

Post by Pepe »

We'll everyone, "spring" is officially here. Tonite at 4:30 pm, my buddy Tim and I christened my new Triton on the Muskrat River for about an hour. We had almost 7 km of open unobstructed water to play in. It was great. We got to play with the new Lowrance GPS, smell some fresh fumes (LOL) and see atleast a dozen muskrats. There was a game warden there when we pulled out. He only asked if we saw anyone fishing - no was the answer. We're going to go out even longer on sunday (+14C) and learn my boat a little bit more.

Can't wait until we find some crappies or mudpouts out there.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Hey, that must of been an awsome feeling man, When are we going to see some pics of the boat???
Northamfishing Tackle
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Driving home from the cottage I saw that Muskrat River was open water. :D :D Very exciting!!
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pepe »

Jig Head - that's funny because 10 minutes down the highway, I told Tim that I forgot the camera on the cupboard - oh well, sunday I'll get my first pics.

Snag - your stretch must be pretty close to opening as well - what about the Waltham launch?? The Petawawa section of the river is open, but, two feet of snow still in front of the ramp (darn snow plows). Also, my buddy's boat is in Hayzley Bay lot - he said it is already close to flooding - uh oh - hope it's not a repeat of couple years ago.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Hey snag when did you go up to the cottage??
Northamfishing Tackle
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Pepe, that must have been GREAT!

Good for you - and best of luck with the new boat.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Pepe right infront of my cottage there's still a fair bit of ice in the bay. But on the other side, where jig head is, on the main channel its opening up.

Waltham launch has been open for a couple weeks but with the spring freshette, it's not ideal for boating just yet.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Also Pepe, its interesting you mention that flood. Boy was it bad.

Our cottage is 150ft from the water normally... in 2002 about 125ft of our water front was underwater. It was very scary. But it was kind of neat going out in the canoe and going in between the trees that would normally be submerged.

It's hard too because we are about 1hr and 30mins away from the cottage and had to check in twice a week to check the water level. Now we check the water level daily at http://www.ottawariver.ca/emain.htm to monitor how much it's flooding.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

How did it go Pepe!!

Post by tr21chris »

Glad to hear you got the boat in Pepe....you're making me jealous! Should be getting mine next week, can't wait.....plenty of open water now. Charleston should be out next week!! See ya at the show this weekend....Chris :)
Pepe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pepe »

Hey Chris - hope you left a few rods for Travis in the "old" boat. How about towing the "new" boat up here and getting it wet.

I'll see ya for sure on saturday - I'm with Renegade starting at 9:00 am and then wander the show after 12:00.