Heading to Black Rapids after work (report)

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Heading to Black Rapids after work (report)

Post by Todd B. »

I'll be heading to Black Rapids this evening after work if anyone cares to join. Hopefully the cold front hasn't knocked down the SM, otherwise eyes will have to be the target fish for the evening.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Well as expected it was a chilly night on the water at least till the wind died down somewhat. The cold front definitely knocked down the bass. I wound up trying a new fly (Goldenhead Starling & Peacock) as a dropper off of a beadhead bugger. It was definitely the ticket as I managed to land about a dozen or so fish, the largest bing a 10" SM, not to mention some big panfish and rockbass. The rest of the smallies were just that...small.

The one highlight of the evening was having a nice muskie (>36") dart into an area (right at the waste water wier) that I was nymphing...guessing it was after the small fish that were interested in my fly. As I was only fishing my 4wt I decided to move downstream as I didn't particularly feel like losing a fly or having my rod broken on an accidental muskie hookup. :-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

G'day Todd:

Just before this little cold front set in, I was out in the boat using non-fly stuff :oops: :oops: in the evening, and couldn't keep the bass off.......surface popper, sassy shad, etc. Next evening........NADA!!

Was out this AM for a bit with the 8wt. club, and couldn't raise even a sunfish.......go figure. Fronts surely have a lot to do with the bite, eh.

Good fishin:

Jigs.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

[quote]. As I was only fishing my 4wt I decided to move downstream as I didn't particularly feel like losing a fly or having my rod broken on an accidental muskie hookup. :-)[/quote]
At dows lake a couple of years ago we saw an oos muskie and knew he would never bite our wee panfish poppers. Little did we know that he liked sunfish. Ripped the sunfish off the fly :lol:
Even lil smallies are fun on the fly though :P
mike
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Hey Todd,

didn't see this until now... as you know, I don't fly fish, but if you're heading out some evening, send me a PM and I'll see if I can make it.

cheers,
tallpaul
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

tallpaul,

Sure, at the earliest Sunday, otherwise sometime next week. Saturday is set aside to do some trout fishing in NY! ;-)
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Hey Todd,

this weekend won't work for me (have fun in NY!), but maybe Monday evening? days are getting shorter though, but we'll see what we can do.

send me a pm the day you can go (i definitely can not go tues or wed).

cheers,
tallpaul