muskie and pike on the fly

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

muskie and pike on the fly

Post by Mike Lennox »

Hello fellow fly-fisherman!
Since the bass have stopped biting at champlain, i think i'll switch over to some big boys. I am going for pike mostly, because i know if I go for muskie i will most definitely get skunked.
I will probably be trying west of billings bridge where I saw some weeds last time. I might also try at dows lake where i've seen some muskie in the spring and where UGLYSTICK9 caught a nice pike.
My fly selection is quite small, mostly made up of chartreuse and white clousers, half and halfs and decievers. They seemed to work quite well in the spring.
thanks,ps has anyone ever caught a muskie on a flyrod??
mike
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

FYY,

West of Billings can be good, plus you never know if you're going to get into pike or muskie since they're both in there. You'll find that the eyes will also move into the shallower water as the temperatures fall. Clousers work well there. You might try variations that look like large minnows or small perch. Bunny leaches are another option as well.

If the flow isn't too high you can also try the big pool below Hogs Back for eyes.

Cheers,
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI YFF

IT was nice to talk to you at victoria island tonight,,,,,,,

we did not have time to talk flyfishing,,,,,,,

i do a lot off flyfishing in spring for trout,,,,,and some for bass in my canoe,,,,,,

ok lets talk pike and musky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i saw your rod,,,,,,5 weight you said,,,? mabe a bit to small for pike i think,,,,,i would not go bellow 8 weight for those thoty critters,,,,, :o ,,,,,,,,,,,the 5 will works but you will have time to hook them and bring them in,,,,,,,,,,,

i am in the outawais fly fishing club,,,,,,and we join every monday night frome jan to april to make fly,,,,,,,,,,,we meeth a the cottage off lac beauchamp in gatineau,,,,,,

and i have tons off fly up here,so if you need some ,could give you a cople off them,,,,,,

and for pike,,,,,,i have a friends and i ty some 10 inch fly for musky and they would would work great for musky,,,but you dont need as big,,,,i could show you this winte some off my flys for pike,,,,and you could come and your friend to make some,,,,,,i have all the stuff,,,,,so wont cost a cents,,,,,,, :wink:

take care and keep ponding those water and you will catch that monster pike or musky

joco :P
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

yeah that was alot of fun on victoria island! :D
I have an 8 weight, but it has very little wip to it so I barely ever use it "starter rod"
I tie my flies, and as soon as orvis opens :x i will buy some mega-hair and giant saltwater hooks....but it is a very nice offer!
thanks,
mike
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HEY i have hooks,,,,,for you,there salt water stainles steal hooks,,,,,

great for those pike,,,,,,,that you will catch soon,,,,,,,,, :wink:

take care and we will get together again body,,,,,, :wink:

joco