NY Trout Fishing (past Sun)

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

NY Trout Fishing (past Sun)

Post by Todd B. »

At the start of the season I had a personal objective to get down to NY at least once this season for some trout fishing. With time quickly running out this season, me and my gf decided that this weekend would be our only real chance to get down before the season closes.

With all the rain Saturday, we decided to hold off and hope for better weather on Sunday. While the weather early Sunday morning didn't look very inviting, we decided to make the trek down. Crossing the border it was obvious that it had been raining all night...not a good sign. As we cross the Salmon River at Westville Center it's clear the water is up. We had to one of the stretches of the Salmon that we were going to fish, only to find the river blown out, very discouraging after making the drive.

Rather than give up we decide to make a run over to the Chateaugay to see if it's fishable. To our delight the water levels look great. A quick trip to the K-Mart in Malone to pick up licenses and we're back to the Chateaugay by noon. Not the best time to trout fish but we weren't complaining given the weather.

We hit the water with only two other spin fisherman from Quebec on the water. After nymphing for about 45 mins with not even a bite we switch over to #8 A3-10's, dead drifting them with short strips back. This was definitely the fly as my gf lands the first fish, her first ever 7" rainbow. She then proceeds to lose a scrappy 10-11" bow. It was my turn to land a few bows and a nice brown. Overall we managed to land 8 bows and 4 browns all in the 6-12" range.

Note: will be investing in a WP digital camera for next season!
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

NY trout

Post by Jigs »

Sounds like you had a dandy day Todd B:

Don't know if you're interested but if you own a boat/canoe/floating log, this is def. the time of year to work slow water for largemouth. They are feeding up and biting well.

One day soon the weather is going to break, and when the cold hits, they will be down and slow.

Give me a PM if you are interested in getting out. Near Smiths Falls.

Certainly appreciate the info you gave me re: Blakeney. Been there a couple of times and had some fun.

Regards: Jigs
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Jigs,

Thanks for the offer, though it looks as though I won't be able to get out for a day on the water till after the T-Day long weekend. If I'm lucky I'll get in a few evenings after work, close to town.

Glad you managed to have some fun at Blakeney. The walleye action at the tailouts is just starting to pick up. I'm sure there are some nice pike in the weeds as well...give the bite-off I had two weeks ago.

Cheers,
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

sounds like an awesome time todd b :D
If you wanna check out the ausable, my brother and my friend probably waded the entire no-kill stretch, and its alot of fun!Just pm me
mike