20" rainbow - pics and a long read

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

20" rainbow - pics and a long read

Post by Gravelguy4 »

As i've posted before, the pit I work at has a pond that was stocked with rainbow trout for years but the company changed hands 10 years ago and the stocking stopped. Everyone seemed to forget about the fish and this spring we decided to re stock it. The biggest fish we put in was 14" and the majority were about 8". While fishing for these smaller fish I have on 4 occasions hooked something very large that fought hard and snapped my line one way or the other before i could get the fish in. I was using small flies always so I had on 3 lb tippet.
Tonight i decided i was going for the big one. I put on a 6lb leader and this attractor bug fly that is big and ugly but i thought might fool one of these brutes. After a couple casts I hooked a 12" creek chub. not very fulfilling but definately amusing.
A few minutes later i began to work around the pond. I made a short cast and let it sink right to the bottom (only 3 feet in this area). I began to slow strip line to make it look like a bug looking for cover in the cold water. My line picked up and began to move sideways. the creek chubs just hammer the fly so i thought this might be something good. I set the hook and there was a big wake and whatever it was bolted for deeper water.
After about 5 minutes of fighting this girl i was worried i was going to exhaust her but everytime she got close to shore she'd turn and jet to deep water. as seen here...

So I decided just to go for it, stepped into the water with my work boots on (anything to ensure a safer land/release for the fish) and put my hands on this 20" rainbow.

I don't know if you can see it that well on that picture so i added another of a close up of this fish. look at her chin. i guess at 10 or 11 she is starting to age a bit.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. I was/am pretty pumped.
I love trout fishing.

Thanks again
Keith
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

nice fish keith! :o
Nothing fights like a big rainbow on light fly gear......I know what you mean about adrenaline...they give me the shakes :lol:
congrats,
yff
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Beauty fish. I never got a trout that big!
Northamfishing Tackle