Want to give fly fishing a try

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Want to give fly fishing a try

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Hey guys, I,m an avid fisherman but never tried em on a fly. This is gonna be the year I give it a try. My first adventure will be ice out pike fishing trip in northern Quebec. I plan on joining Ottawa Fly Fishers with hopes of learning casting at one of there clinics. In the meantime I'd like to start accumulating gear. So if anyone could give me any advice on gear required for hopefully large pike (I'd like to use the same gear for shallow water Musky in the summer) I'd appretiate it. If you are feeling talkative my second adventure will be a canoe trip into Algonquin Park for trout. I will need gear for that as well. I want to get shopping to spread the cost out over the winter. Thanx alot in advace.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

LOL I have no homework to do right now...so what the heck.

If you're not sure if you want to get into flyfishing I reccomend you get a starter kit. They have all you will need "other than flies" to get started...for a cheap price of 50 dollars. I admit though...if your serious about starting up these rods have very little whip and I struggle to cast with them now. You can get them at lebaron, Canadian tire and wal-mart ect....

If you're really sure you want to get started "its frustrating at first..but trust me its a blast :D " I would reccomend a TFO rod "temple fork outfitters." They are inexpensive but they still give them same performance level as more pricey rods. For pike a 5-9 weight would be good. The lower the weight the less backbone the rod has so keep that in mind.

A 5 weight is by far the most versatile rod...but im not sure if it can handle a trophy pike.

For pike flies I would reccomend clousers, bunny leeches, decievers and large saltwater flies. I have had the most success with a combo of chartreuse and white but you will also want some orange, blue and red/white flies. The most fun are deer hair mice and topwater poppers though and they will still work when conditions are right.

For algonquin trout i've never fished there but you cant go wrong with nymphs "larva" such as gold ribbed hares ears, wooly buggers, mickey finns, black and white clousers and a selection of dry flies.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or check out this site... www.hipwader.com they are all flyfisherman and they know theyre stuff.

good luck and hope you enjoy flyfishing :D

mike
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Good on you Lookin! You realize that once you try flyfishing, you'll find it hard to stop? As well, your children may never get that college education you've planned for them.....

Joining the flyfishers association is a good start. (I'm going to do the same in January.) Also, the Greendrake on Holland can give you sound advice. I'd recommend taking a casting/flyfishing course. Greendrake offers these, too.

Something that worked for me when I was starting out was to take a flyrod and my spinning tackle. When I got too frustrated with the flyrod, I'd switch to the spinning rod until I calmed down. It took me about 2 seasons to finally drop the spin gear altogether and flyfishing is all I do now. I can't really explain it, but catching fish on the fly is so much more rewarding than on other kinds of tackle.

As for pike, I use a 4-piece 9-wt rod with medium action. A floating weight forward or sink-tip flyline will do the trick nicely. You'll want to use a level leader of about 9' long and a heavy tippet material (in both cases you can use 40lb mono). The tippet should include a steel leader. Pike flies are usually big, 0\2 hooks, and bushy - lots of fur and hair.For pike you need a reel with an excellent drag system since they can take line off rather easily. You'll also want a lot of backing.

IMHO, the rod and the reel are the critical elements for fishing pike. Don't do it on the cheap if you want to "catch" fish.

For trout, I never fish anything heavier than a 4-wt. The reel is just a line holder, so don't go too crazy spending on a reel. Weight forward, floating or sink-tip is good. You'll want to buy 9' to 12' tapered leaders and 5X down to 7X tippet material. Brookie flies vary in sizes from #8 down to #24 hooks, depending on the pattern. Presentation is more critical for trout than it is for pike or bass.

I'd suggest you look at 4-piece rods since they are easier to transport through the bush. I'd also recommend a float tube - lighter and cheaper than a canoe for lake fishing.

BTW - Bass on the fly is incredible. It'll make you wonder what all those BASS anglers are thinking with their baitcasters, electronics, etc!!!

PM me if you have any questions.

Fishboy
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Lookin,

Here is a link to an article regarding fly fishing equipment for pike.
http://www.hartflyfishing.demon.co.uk/pike_article.html

If you're going to be targeting larger muskie as well you might consider a heavier rod to facilitate faster landing and releases, given the mortality rates for muskie that are over stressed. With a 10wt you would also be set for salmon.

If you're only fishing for average sized pike/muskie I would recommend an 8wt, which can also be used for steelhead, and bass in heavy cover.

Cheers,
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
pikeonthe fly
Participant
Participant

Post by pikeonthe fly »

As some of the guys have already stated, my advice is much the same. Got to say would never fish for esox on anything less than a 10 wt. Why? if I get into something decent don't want to play it to death on inadequate tackle...always release my fish. I also fish with some pretty big fly's and they can take a bit of lifting when they get wet. You might get away with an 8wt...but certainly nothing less! I like a 9ft rod as the ten can get tiring after a few hours casting. Depends a lot on wether you will be doing most of your fishing from the bank or from a boat? Go for two lines which will do you for most of your fishing. A floating line and a floating sink tip line. Means getting a reel with a spare spool but best to know that up front before choosing a reel. Only thing I would say about a reel is make sure it has a reliable consistant drag...big pike will strip a lot of line from your real at times...so good drag is really important!

Best of luck
fly fishing canada
Participant
Participant

Post by fly fishing canada »

For a trophy, go on a 7 wt TFO, since they come with a lifetime replacement guarentee, and will hold up to the fish. Remember for flies, the time tested virtue: "it ain't no use if it ain't got chartreuse."

happy fly fishing

FFC