Curing spawn

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Curing spawn

Post by 1lastcast »

I have around 2lbs of rainbow trout row that i want to cure.

Im thinking about using the borax method? Any tips would be heplfull?

The skeins have already been rinsed and stored in paper towel in the fridge now for over night.

The eggs seem tight in the skeins. So im woundering if i even need to tie spawn sacs? I have a recipe that states to cut dime sized chunks and coat them with borax then place them in a jar or container in the fridge or freezer.

Thanks
and wish me luck. I would die if this goes wrong! hate to waste all this spawn.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

that will work

Post by mitch »

my preference is no water rinse, air dry on a paper towel in the fridge overnight and use kerchief to tie into bags. Freeze a days use of eggs (before tying up) into small ziplocks with the air taken out. They'll keep for years. I was using 2003 eggs, working upstream from you and managed three fish (all released). Mitch
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Mitch you say that you were up stream from me? What river was that at? Tell me you were'nt the guy that fell in? lol
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

dry as a bone

Post by mitch »

Nope but I was the next guy upstream from that guy. that was one big fish he had. Unfotunately, his boots got stuck in the sediment causing him to spill but he remained dry as well.