Underspin reels?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Underspin reels?

Post by 1lastcast »

Im still pretty new to float fishing for steelhead. I have only a few day trips under my belt.

Im currantly using a 10' 6" med - light rod with a spinning reel and 6lb test. I then run around 2 ft of 4lb leader below a small swivel. I just got my hands on some clear floats too.

My question is this:

I heard that a underspin type reel with the full cover over the line and a trigger set up is a great set up.

Im a left hand retreive so i find that the line is getting snaged up on the reel a lot of the time. Pluss i like to let the float run down stream on drifts. And I find that the strandard type spinning reels dont work to well for letting line out without opening the bail.

I just bought a underspin reel (cheap $20) to try instead. They seem to allow you to just pull the trigger to let out line. And the full covered line with no bail seems like a good idea also?

Any of you guys ever tried this type of reel? I know that alot of you prob have a $300 float reel. But thats just to much money for me to spend.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I can help you out on the Float reel budd.

I've got a Stream Runner that is in tip top shape, and might think of lettin er go.

Your goin backwards on the reel you've picked up. Not sayin it won't be effective, but, honestly if your gonna get serious into Steel, a Float reel in yur paws, you'll never look back!

I've got 2 other Pins, and always happy to help a new guy out. Its on loan right now to a friend who wants to learn a CP, and though I don't know ya, your reports are solid, and you seem like you want to learn.

Now Steel slows after May, but for salmon in late Aug, Sept, if your still in need, I'd be happy to loan you the reel, get used to one, and if you have the cash to buy an Islnader, or otherwise, go for it. But, there aren't a ton of lads willing to help like me, there are some out there, but I'm happy to lend ya the reel for the fall to get a feel for once you float the pins, you never look back!

Shoot me a pm.
Born to Pin
Participant
Participant

Post by Born to Pin »

That is a great gesture from you FF. You are a class act bro. My respect.
Last edited by Born to Pin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

SWEEEEEEEEET Bro!!!

Nice to see its open again, went there 3 times over the last 2 months, frozen everytime :lol:

Some brutes indeed!

Hook up soon bro!
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Some real nice fish guys! I have yet to land a fish of that size. But im due big time. This weekend in heading to the wilmot area with a few friends. We are making a weekend trip out of it this time. Last trip up there i landed my first steelhead. It was a wooping 8" fish. But im getting a little more confident in my set up now.

I agree with you Born to Pin. Floatfishin is a real class act. Its rare to find people like that anymore. Im not the kind of guy that likes to borrow from anyone. But It was a nice gesture to offer. Hope to maybe run into you guys along the stream some time.