mosque lake

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
whtwolf
Participant
Participant

Post by whtwolf »

Can you buy the permit as you enter into the area or a store in town.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I believe they sell them at the Ompah marina....or the township office, but you won't be gettin' an early start to your fishing because you'll have to wait until they open :x :x :x

Here's the link to buy permits on-line

http://www.northfrontenacparklands.com/ ... &Itemid=65
whtwolf
Participant
Participant

Post by whtwolf »

Trying to fish in this area is beginning to be a little bit of a pain. There is a lot of running around purchasing many extra items, maybe I will have to re-evaluate my decision to go fishing in this area but any suggestion on other lakes is welcome even if i could only fish from shore for the trout would be fine or a area that I could wade into would also be great.
Gramps
Participant
Participant

Post by Gramps »

PM sent!
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Permits

Post by High Noon »

You can buy the permits in Ompah at the Double S Marina.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Do you mean to say that the MNR stocks some of the lakes in there. And then the county gets to charge to use the roads to get to them. Are the roads at least in decent shape? Or is it just another money grab?

Billy Bones
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I was under the impression that it is illegal for anyone to prevent you from fishing in a lake that has been stocked by the MNR.... with everyone's licence & tax dollars!
Now if you are just out for a ride then that's a differant story.
Ive never had an issue, but then again I'm ussually in the middle of the lake in my float tube by the time the renta cops even get out of bed :wink:
Gramps
Participant
Participant

Post by Gramps »

Billy Bones,

yes this is true. The roads are not that bad.

getnjiggywithit,

What has happened is the municipality of north Frontenac has leased the road from the MNR between april-nov. This allows them to charge for use of the road. The funds they receive go into maintaining the road. This allows the MNR to rid themselves of spending money to maintain the road. At the same time the municipality of north Frontenac's has obtain permission from the MNR to lease crown land around certain lakes. This is why we just cannot go and camp at one of these certain crown lakes without paying. :evil:

Oh yes I forgot to mention the camping season for these lakes is from april-nov.. One might say not a big deal, but for some who don't mind camping in cooler temps, you are out of luck.

So you can see why I stated that they are trying to make this area a park, when they charge us to access stocked lakes, charge us to camp, and tell us what time of the year we can do this.

One would think that if they just stopped maintaining the road then there would be less fishing pressure do to difficulty in accessing these lakes, In turn requiring less fish to be stocked and saving money possibly or creating a better fishing experience.

I hope that I managed to shed some light on what is happening.

Cheers

Gramps
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I remember many years ago meeting up with a township grator coming out of a lake that used to be 4x4 or good pick-up access only for walleye, bass and pike...I don't usually mention lakes, but for those of you who have fished this area like I have (since the early 80's) I am talkin about Govan Lake....

I had to back my truck up bouta 1/4 mile before I could find a path to get into to let this grator go by...I talked to the operator and that's when he said he was a local and worked for the township...he had work orders to clear/widen the road as they had leased the land from the MNR for tourism and a way to make money...he said this was stupidity but he only takes orders and needs a paycheck :twisted: :twisted:

The next year, my son went up to Govan Lake with some buds to fish the May 24 weekend on a Friday....I remember him calling me on the Saturday telling me that they packed the tents and left because a gang drove in on Saturday not to fish.......BUT TO JET SKI :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

These guys were able to drive a Mustang convertible into this lake pulling a double Jet Ski trailer.....I just about cried after hearing that and haven't been back!!

From what I've heard, the fishing has never been the same.....
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I remember many years ago meeting up with a township grator coming out of a lake that used to be 4x4 or good pick-up access only for walleye, bass and pike...I don't usually mention lakes, but for those of you who have fished this area like I have (since the early 80's) I am talkin about Govan Lake....

I had to back my truck up bouta 1/4 mile before I could find a path to get into to let this grator go by...I talked to the operator and that's when he said he was a local and worked for the township...he had work orders to clear/widen the road as they had leased the land from the MNR for tourism and a way to make money...he said this was stupidity but he only takes orders and needs a paycheck :twisted: :twisted:

The next year, my son went up to Govan Lake with some buds to fish the May 24 weekend on a Friday....I remember him calling me on the Saturday telling me that they packed the tents and left because a gang drove in on Saturday not to fish.......BUT TO JET SKI :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

These guys were able to drive a Mustang convertible into this lake pulling a double Jet Ski trailer.....I just about cried after hearing that and haven't been back!!

From what I've heard, the fishing has never been the same.....
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I have a friend that got a ticket for being on those trails I think two years ago. He showed up in court with a copy of the mnr regulations and highlighted the spot where it says "management principles related to stocking" http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=26422 The judge dissmised the case. My friend in question is a retired ottawa police officer and has told me that NO ONE has the right to charge people to fish there. He also said that as long as you are there for the sole purpose of fishing there is nothing they can do from a legal stand point... If ever you run across one of theses guy's insist the you are there to fish and only to fish and that you every right to be there! I bet they just give ya a dirty look and move on...
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Despite all this controversy about the roads and charges for using them, I booked a couple of nights at Mosque Lake Lodge. Love to try different trout water. Will take my camera and hopefully get to use it, try to do a report when I get back. Anybody have any advice or tips for fishing the lake. Will target lakers and rainbows.

Thanks
Billy Bones
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

getnjiggywithit,

I have heard of others challenging these user fees and winning their cases. I've also heard that the local constabulary (the OPP) will not respond to the local government's calls on matters of refusal to pay.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

What I found interesting is this. Go to there website and lo and behold it lists every activity from canoeing, hiking, camping and birdwatching but nothing at all about fishing.

I found this a little strange because most of the people going there are for fishing. It's like they are subtly saying....no fishing. :?
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fishboy wrote:getnjiggywithit,

I have heard of others challenging these user fees and winning their cases. I've also heard that the local constabulary (the OPP) will not respond to the local government's calls on matters of refusal to pay.

It's nice to hear that people are standing up for something they believe in! I have been fishing those lakes for almost 15 years and have never paid and will never pay!