Salmon River Report

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Salmon River Report

Post by Salar »

Hi Everyone,

Fished the Salmon River Thursday night for a couple hours on my way back from Vermont. The water levels are good right now, not too high or low. The dry fly action is heating up down there. They're starting to respond well to big dries cast along seams, riffles, and heads of pools. After raising a number of trout on dries, I switched over to a nymphing rig and started to really get into the fish. With the lower water the trout seem to have spread out somewhat. The stockies are healthy are really putting on the weight. See pictures below.

Cheers,

Salar.
Last edited by Salar on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I forgot to mention that the one advantage of being waderless is that it's really easy to find the springs in the river. No need to carry a thermometer :lol:
northernfly
Participant
Participant

Post by northernfly »

Salar wrote:I forgot to mention that the one advantage of being waderless is that it's really easy to find the springs in the river. No need to carry a thermometer :lol:
.... just drain the coffee before you start out :wink:

nice looking fish.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Very nice :) haha Have I seen your picture on the flyfisher website up north in the Yukon/N.W.T or something?

Maybe i'm hallucinating.......

Nice report,

Take care! :)

==Tom==
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Good stuff Salar. It's always nice to see a fellow flyfisherman get into some trout. Dry season is just around the corner so I wish you continued success!

Best fishes,

GRR
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

FishingIsHealing wrote:Very nice :) haha Have I seen your picture on the flyfisher website up north in the Yukon/N.W.T or something?
I fly fished in the Yukon and Alaska back in 2004. There are a few photos of that trip posted on the Algonkin Fly Fishers website.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Yes, I recognized your photograph.

I also fished in the Yukon and Alaska when I was about 16 and much healthier.

It was wonderful, I fished Big Salmon Lake ( I think thats the name )....We put in at Quiet Lake and went down a rapid to Sand Lake and then another rapid down to Big Salmon Lake.

The fishing was phenomenal. The Pike there were so wild, it's like they had never seen a fishing lure. They would attack ANYTHING you put in front of them at any time. They also would cannibalize each other, it was insane. I bet if you fall out of your canoe there, they would eat you like piranhas. lol

Also, there were many Grayling and my father caught a lake trout that must have been 50 lbs, but as soon as we got it near the boat it broke the line. It was gigantic. Biggest fish I've seen in my life. The lake trout up there have nice coloured flesh, and are very good to eat as you probably know.

anyways, yah I had fun during that trip. Also fished in Skagway Alaska but didn't catch much. The Yukon was the main attraction and spent alot of time fishing there.

I recommend it to anyone...It was a once in a lifetime thing for me, definitely the most beautiful natural place I have been, the mountains are breathtaking, the water is freezing cold, there is snow on thetops of the mountains, and the fish are plentiful and so eager to attack anything you put in......Get some motorized big canoes, trucks, drive into Quiet Lake and launch there, then it takes about 1-2 hours to get to Big Salmon Lake. You have to negotiate through some rapids and it's very beautioful there. Only problem is that Quiet lake has big waves during wind and we got stuck at a camp site for 2 days without food and beer trying to get home with no luck! haha......Water there is ice cold too so I became hypothermic on the way out of that lake because water was splashing on me. I was the front passenger :( first to get hit with cold water haha.... If you go, bring the appropriate gear, maybe even a dry suit, you should treat the water there as you would ice water in a lake in the winter here. It will kill you if you fall in and can't get out quickly. I can imagine dying in that water within 3 minutes if you aren't able to get out. It is pretty cold, icy water.

Take Care!

==Tom==