Pike in Shiner Lake

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Paya,
It was good meeting you. Can't go this weekend. Too bad, could be
the last warm days. Good luck,
Mosquito
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

Is there ice on Shiner now? or is it still open?
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I haven't seen it since early October, but I imagine that given its small area, it's likely beginning to freeze over. Like most small lakes in the Ottawa Valley, it takes a pounding from icefishers. Last spring I visited just prior to ice-out and I counted at least 15 holes. It's a wonder any fish are left by spring time..... :(
Time's fun when you're having flies.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

15 holes?! That's about half of what I make in a single day...
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Be careful, mosquito...Shiner is such a small lake that 15 holes might break the entire surface!

Anyway, I hope everyone practices some restraint when icefishing such tiny lakes. I know they're put and take fisheries, but when everyone takes his limit every time, there really isn't any chance for the fish to attain larger sizes.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Shiner is frozen over! Was by there today. As for restraint on shiner :roll: being such an easy lake to access, heavy pressure is just the way it is, if you want a chance to hook in to a BIG rainbow(there still could be some in shiner) you need to do your research, and make a hard trek in to a difficult access lake or go to BC or the Great Lakes :lol:
Good Luck.

Rich
billy
Participant
Participant

Pike in Shiner?!

Post by billy »

I this the same Shiner near Bogie?

You guys must be joking. Oh yeah, I just remembered, its not in there anymore, I saw BIGFOOT catch it this summer, he almost had it snatched away by the Loch Shiner Monster. (They have a friendly rivalry)