looking for!!!

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

looking for!!!

Post by G-loomis »

I am looking for a beginner float reel I was thinkiing Okuma Adventa anyone use is or is there anything ealse of the price of 180
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: looking for!!!

Post by Paya »

G-loomis wrote:I am looking for a beginner float reel I was thinkiing Okuma Adventa anyone use is or is there anything ealse of the price of 180
g-loomis

A great entry level reel, it's cheap and decent reel.
As well you might want to consider looking around and shop for something used such a raven or Stanton because you might outgrow Adventa very quick ::

fish on !!
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

I just bought a new float reel it is a Okuma AVENTA it works great the only thing is the I put on Raven 8LB main line and it twurls and loops like crazy what do I do.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

G-loomis wrote:I just bought a new float reel it is a Okuma AVENTA it works great the only thing is the I put on Raven 8LB main line and it twurls and loops like crazy what do I do.
Sounds as though the line is twisted on the reel? Did you use a level wind spooler to spool your reel? The only other thing that comes to mind would be old line, but I'm assuming you're spooling brand new line.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

hey Todd I did not use the level wind spooler should I take it all off and put new line on and use a ''level wind spooler''
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Raven has a tendancy to twist when its new.No matter the way it is spooled, though after the kinks wear out(4or 5 outings) its awsome line!

I suggest Iron Silk, just because it tends to float the best, and is all I run for main.If your fishing bigger waters, then yes the "high vis" line is a must to see the line to the float.

But Iron Silk, Maxima, and Raven are the top main lines IMHO.

F.F
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topraider »

Hi G loomis

Your line is probably twisting because you are sidecasting (e.g. when you cast, the line comes off the side of the reel).

Your options are to learn to spin the reel when you cast, or tie a tiny swivel ABOVE your float. I do the latter. If you do the swivel thing, your line twist problems will be solved, no matter what kind of line you use.

Learning to spin the reel when you cast is difficult, and takes practice. I see some guys on the river who really do it well. Doesn't mean they catch fish though!
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

thanks everyone for the advice I think I am going to stick with the raven line and next outing I am puting on a litre thanks to all.

best float fishing to all I will post when I get into some fish or some other questions.
thanks- Topraider
FLOATFISHIN
Todd-B.
Paya
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

well I have been out a few times trying to fish to seam at the dam it is a little difficult to cast with the float reel I am off about 10 feet of the dam and want to hit the dam how can I improve the teqnique.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

http://www.spiderwebguru.com/cgi-bin/fo ... read/15945

Loomis, here is a site with a few video clips that can help you improve your casting bro!

What area do you fish? I'll send you a pm, and If I make it your way in the next few weeks, we can try to hook up, and I'll help you if the vid clips dont do ya any good :wink:

F.F
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

hey FLOATFISHIN I will try the new casting teqnique If I need any help I will give you a PM.
etch a sketch
Participant
Participant

Post by etch a sketch »

8) the kink and coil on your line could be because of a few things!, use a dog bone winder when putting it on, i also place my new spool of line in a sink of warm/hot water for a while, this will get rid of the memory of the line being on the spool, , if you side cast like i(and most others do) you will get line twist and kinks , which you can strip off after your outing(wont be much line at all, its not like your going to cast across the niagara river) or at the end of the day you can take off all of your hardware/float /shot and let your line itself freespool down the river, then wind it back up on your reel and the twist will be gone!, as for casting, assuming you are holding the rod in the right hand, take your left hand hold your line between your thumb and index finger(close to the palm) out at arms length to your side, now pull the rod back with your right arm, finger on the reel spool, now cast the rod forward, letting go of the reels spool , this while your left arm/hand holding the line moves forward all the while you are opening your left hand to guide the line through your thumb and finger, and you can stop the cast at any time by using your right finger on the spool, hope this helps, and remeber when reeling/palming/ batting your handles to get the line back in, always make sure you are not pulling the float back through the water(this causes major twist) instead pop the float up and back to you, take in your slack line and repeat again, any other questions? feel free to ask!!

Etch
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

hey etch thanks for the information I will try everything you told me, and if I have anymore questions I will post.
G-loomis
Participant
Participant

Post by G-loomis »

Well I just got back from fishing finally now how to use the reel it is easy as eating pie. all I do now is make my hand wet and it just flies I can make it to the dam now and farther. well I managed to get 2 bows one at 8 pound and the other 7ish feels great using the new reel.