New to the sport

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

New to the sport

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Hey Guys,

I'm a fishing nut that has decided to extend my fishing knowledge to the awesome sport of fly fishing, Just bought a a rod & reel( cheap one ) to start with, and some cheapie flies(don't know if they'll work or even what the patterns are?) I'd like to learn alot from you experienced lads, I'm off work tomorrow and I'm gonna head to the Bogie(might be a lost cause) KNow lots of lakes and have a 12ft boat which I will mount the electric on for minimal spooking, so If anyone is up for a tour and would like to arrange something let me know!

Cheers,

Rich
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

hey monsterhunter,
I have been flyfishing for 5 years, so if you need any help just pm me.
For lakes this time of year, you will want some minnow immatations.
My favorite is a black and white clouser minnow, but zonkers and matutkas will also work very well.
You will always want a few wooly buggers and gold ribbed hares ear nymphs too.
Remember, you dont only have to fly fish for trout. In the spring with chartreuse and white clouser minnows you can catch a few pike, and crappie, and in the summer, bring a popper or slider to a bed of lillies and you will have a blast!
good luck, dont get frustrated at first......it takes a while to get the hang of,
mike
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Monsterhunter,

Unless you're using a type 4 sinking line you'd be better off using regular gear up on the Bogie lakes. A friend was up there last week and said that they were marking the trout on the fish finder about 40' down (near the thermalcline). You won't see them back up in shallow water until the lakes turn over.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

any luck?
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Todd.B.: How did your friend know they were marking trout? Quite a few
lakes overthere have multiple species. Wabun has lakers and smallmouth,
Shiner has rainbows and suckers, Scully has smallmouth and brookies,
Limestone has largemouth, rainbows and very big perch. At one time
or another they all can relate to thermocline. Just curious...
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

mosquito,

If was a remote lake that is stocked with specks and they were catching them. As for shiner you forgot to mention the big pike curtesy of the idiots that released them in the lake.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Didin't go out with the fly, hit up some largies in my neck of the wood's,

Mosquito, you're bang on with those lakes bud, Awesome smallies in Scully, the largie action at limestone if you're not havin luck with the bows is insane, never had a chance to hit the smallies in wabun, llots of lakers tho :wink: Is that pike still in Shiner? If so he must be 8+lbs easy by now.

Cheers,

Rich
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Hey MonsterHunter,
I took 2 pikes from Shiner last winter. Both of them were pretty
skinny and just under 4#. Apparently they don't do very well there
for some reason.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Two eh? Weird how they're slim tho, so much for them to feed on, do people just keep poppin them in there or something?

Rich
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

A friend was fishing Shiner for bows earlier this season and said that he caught an 8-10lb pike. He said he cut his line since he was in a float tube and didn't have a way of landing it. I told him he should have beached himself, landed it and chucked it into the woods. It is frustrating that some people are ignorant about the consequences of relocating fish. While it is explicitly written in the regs with respect to baitfish, they should modify it to cover all fish.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

I was told the pike was put to Shiner by some kids, who brought a full bucket of them. I've never seen any 8-10#'s, but the smaller ones can be seen quite often near a drowned tree on the eastern side of the lake.
chubb
Participant
Participant

Post by chubb »

In Shiner-Could there have been a poulation of pike before the stocking of trout?
I don't believe that Shiner was ever a natural tout lake
Catching an 8 to 10lb pike from a tube on that little lake sounds great.
Throwing it in the woods would not be cool.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

I don't think that Shiner ever had a natural population of pike - the lake doesn't have a suitable spawning ground for pike. But even if there were
pike before trout, the lakes are usually poisoned before they stocked with trout. I dont think that Shiner was a natural trout lake either. Until early 90s the lake was stoked with brook trout, then for some reason it was switched for rainbows. I fished the lake from mid 90s and there was no pike in Shiner buck then. By the way, Bottle lake near Ompah also has a pike problem. To make things worse they reproduce there. Bottle lake used to be a pretty good brook trout lake, but now you catch only hummerhandles there.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Mosquito,

I was told that Shiner was switched to rainbows because the MNR wanted to keep the lake open all season, as opposed to the restricted season associated with brook trout. As for the pike, I believe they are a recent addition in that talk of pike catches just started a couple years ago.