Lower Twin and Limestone

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lower Twin and Limestone

Post by bobfly »

Loaded up wife and dogs in the motorhome Saturday and headed off to Lower Twin (Hwy 132 out of Renfrew). Got 7 rainbows: 2 around 1.5# and 5 small ones around 8-9" and numerous hits. All were on a gold-green caddis with a ginger malibou tail. I had two flies on at all times, usually a heavily weighted black bugger but no takes on any of them. Today (Sunday) I headed out to Limestone Lake, just past Calabogie but as usual, not much luck. Managed a couple of bass and a perch on the same fly combo. Other fisherman present didn't seem to have much luck either. But what beautiful weather and these two lakes are amongst the most attractive around! What a great time of the year to be out there. If all my snooty Vancouver and Kelowna friends (I'm a Vancouver native) could have two days like these so close to town, there might be a massive migration. Don't think I will tell them.

bobfly :)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I'm glad to hear Lower Twin is still producing. I avoided it this year in favour of other lakes, but I might take a look next weekend. What weight rod & line were you using?

Limestone is alway difficult for rainbows and I've thrown every fly and combination I have at them...still no luck. They are really cheeky, rising all around me in my float tube. I have caught some very nice largemouth there. One was quite scary on a 6-wt - I thought I was out-gunned! Brought him to hand though.

BTW - I've been lucky enough to have fished Quesnel Lake for rainbows and Mt. Assiniboine for cutthroat & bows. I'd trade places any day! :D
Time's fun when you're having flies.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Bobfly,
Have you tried Shiner recently - it really rocks this year.
Limestone though is very tough. Even trollers and live bait guys
often go empty. This hot summer didn't do much good
to the rainbows.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shiner

Post by bobfly »

Yes, I've been a few times to Shiner. Last time a couple of weeks ago I got a couple of bows on the same fly, I think (they got off). Since I had both the green caddis and the black wooley bugger, I wasn't sure on some of the hits. I took a closer look at my hook and realized it was bent, no doubt due to the encounter with a 10-15# salmon a week earlier at Wilmot Creek. Man, I was never so happy to lose a fish with my 9wt. My fingers are still burning. Earlier this summer there were a father and son trolling "cricket knockers" and they couldn't keep them off. They limited out in 2 hours! The green one was getting more. I like Shiner. Being so small, you can float around the whole lake in order to discover where they are.

As far as Limestone is concerned, I go there mainly for the scenery and the clear water (hate the mucky shoreline!). All the rainbows I've seen caught there (and I have caught none, I'm sorry to admit) have been in the morning and none on a fly this year. I'm told wooley buggers work, when flies work at all.
I think you have to go deep and scrape the bottom. I like the reef straight off the bluff. On the float tube I mainly use my 8 and 9wt rod as they happen to be the tallest, I own.

Back in BC, in my childhood, I used to fish Jocko Lake, 15 minutes out of Kamloops. My dad and I would regularly catch 3-5 pounders in a matter of a couple of hours any given evening after work. I understand now it has 50 fishers on it each day. When I left Kelowna 12 years ago, if you knew a lake which could produce a fish, you told no-one. They are just as negligent on conservation there as they are here.

bobfly :D
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Shiner is a wonderful little lake and I only began fishing it this year. I've had several hits but I've been skunked every time! Was there a couple of weekends ago and didn't even see a rise. What size flies were you using, Bobfly?
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

Fishboy,
My bugger was a size 8 and my green chenille flash caddis was a caddis size 10 hook. I think the main diet in Shiner is, well, shiners and I have caught trout on the most amazing variety of flies, one of which is my favorite bass fly. There is also a large pike in there so don't be surprised if you lose whatever you use. LOL

bobfly :)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Thanks for the tip on the sizes...I've been fishing #10 conehead marabou muddlers and #8 grey ghosts on a 4-wt with a 12 ft, 5X leader and 18 inches of 6X tippet. As I mentioned, I had a few hits, but no hook-ups.

Someone told me about the big pike and I think I might start wearing a cup when I'm in my tube. Maybe I should explain what a "cup" is to the Toronto Maple-Laffs fans.... :lol: