I want to learn to tie knots

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

I want to learn to tie knots

Post by Mr.J. »

I saw on TV a guy tying flies and he used a wire form and twisted the thread in and around it, gave it a pull and had a perfect knot on his fly. I have found these in the stores but none of them came with instructions.

Does anyone have instructions on using one of these fancy knot makers they can either post here or send me via email? Or know of a web site that does have these instructions I could print off?

Thanks in advance.
fly fishing canada
Participant
Participant

Post by fly fishing canada »

hey mr.j,
I'm much too cheap for those :lol:
Here's some instructions on two types of whip finishers.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... part5.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... part6.html

I couldnt find a link for the simple whip finisher, but hopefully you have a thompson or martrelli style tool.

yff
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Mr J,

Here's a link that includes video clips on using a Matarelli whip finishing tool as well as by hand.
http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/jbwhip/

Personally I find whip finishing by hand faster than using the tools, though the Thompson whip finisher is good for small/dry flies.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

WOW this is great stuff, videos are so much easier to learn by.

I can't wait to go home and try these out.

Thanks a lot gang, I owe you one.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Mr. J,

I would suggest you practice on a large hook with a bright coloured thread. Just cut it off with a straight blade after to reuse the hook.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Thanks gang

The double hitch works pefectly for my application. I didn't need a really strong knot because I use plenty of head cement on the thread, I needed a knot that could hold until the cement dried.

I am getting better at tying the bucktails but not to the point that I am happy just yet.

Practice practice practice.

Todd B.

I have some spinnerheads that I had bought last year that were really cheap, I mean qulity wise, what a disappointment, but now they come in very handy to practice and learn with.