Recommend An Easy Fly to Tie - Anyone?

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Recommend An Easy Fly to Tie - Anyone?

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Hello Brothers of the Fly,

I'm just getting into tying my own flies and do not wish to waste a lot of material getting "good" at tying. So I'm here to see if anyone can recommend an easy fly to start off with or link me to a good online resource for fly tying.

keep it reel,

GRR
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Here is a great link that shows step-by-step procedures with pictures. The link will go directly to the page for tying a Muddler...one of my favourites for Rainbows and Specks........enjoy!!

Steve

http://www.akflyfishers.com/fom_muddler_minnow.html
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

GGR,

Below are a number of links you can check out. Keep in mind that fly tying is all about mastering the various techniques used with each particular material, etc. The two most commonly tied beginner flies would have to be the woollybugger and a Pheasant Tail Nymph (PTN).

What you tie though should be based on what you're fishing for.

Cheers,
Todd

Fly Anglers Online - check out the "Beginner's" tying section.

http://www.hipwader.com/flyfishing/orei ... ng-course/
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

GRR,

If you're going to get seriously into tying I would highly recommend picking up a copy of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Ted Leeson. It illustrates almost every tying technique using step by step photos as well as descriptive text.
uberfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uberfish »

Hey GRR,
http://www.about-flyfishing.com/library ... iskers.htm

this fly is dead easy to tie and has been very productive for me.
Enjoy!
MattSymons
Participant
Participant

Post by MattSymons »

Reaper,

A muddler minnow is a great streamer fly but spinning the bucktail muddler heads is not what I would call an easy tie for a new tyer.

Try the venerable and time honoured Wooly Worm, which is a great all-round pattern for approximating large nymphs and aquatic adult insects (you can weight the hook shank with lead tape under the body material for a deeper presentation, or leave it unweighted to stay closer to the surface).

The next step from tying a Wooly Worm is to move on to an all-time favourite, the Wooly Bugger. Tied the same but for a longer marabou tail in place of the stubby wool tail. Same body and palmered hackle rib. Try weighting with tape, glue a bead head on first or use a sinking tip or full-sink line to work deeper.

These are pretty easy streamer flies to tie and are also top streamers for a variety of species.

Good Luck
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

GGR,

If you want to get good at tieing in a hurry tie up a bunch of #8-14 size nymphs , like a hairs ear, phesant tail, princes, there fast, barley use any materials, easy to tie, and can be very productive. There are tons of different nymphs keeping things fresh so your not tieing the same patterns over and over.

Worm
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

Can't go wrong with a Woolly Bugger. Try tying it with a crystal chenille body. Black, olive, and brown have been my best colors. Works for trout, bass, pike, catfish, etc....

Cheers,

Salar.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Here's a site that I found useful when I first started tying flies last fall.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Not only are there some simple and effective flies to tie, you will also get familiar with some of the terminology. If you decide that fly tying is for you, I would also recommend the book Todd B mentioned. Lots of good info in there.

If I was only able to fish with one fly, it would probably be a olive beadhead woolly bugger.

Welcome to fly tying. Hope your house is paid off..... :lol:

HTH.....
Doug
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Thanks a lot Fellas

All these replies are pearls of advice. I will let you know How I make out and post a photo of my first fly because I'm sure you'll be salivating to see what I tie first!

If you find it hard to wait, than wait no longer,

GRR
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Here is one really simple fly. You can hardly find anything easier.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 07fotw.php
Streamtripper
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamtripper »

Does anyone have a streamer pattern for pike....I'm going out in early May at Longpoint and would love to hook into a toothy critter a la flyrod....
Streamtripper
Participant
Participant

Post by Streamtripper »

Does anyone have a streamer pattern for pike....I'm going out in early May at Longpoint and would love to hook into a toothy critter a la flyrod....
worm31
Participant
Participant

Post by worm31 »

beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Does anyone have a streamer pattern for pike....
A red/white or black/red/purple Bunny Leach and/or Lefty's Deceiver would be excellent in Long Point Bay. I fish a bay up here in Ottawa that is very similiar to Long Point Bay and these colors work very well.

And when you go back to Long Point to fish LM bass in July, don't forget to bring a few of these along for the ride.