GPS Recommendation

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

GPS Recommendation

Post by Billy Bones »

Looking to get a handheld GPS unit that I can use for fishing. Also like it to do double duty for hunting. Perhaps one that I can plug into a power source on my boat. Am I dreaming or is there such a unit that can do double duty as described, and not cost me a left lung? Not too familiar with GPS other than a Street Pilot in the car. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Billy Bones :)
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I bought a Lowrance H20C back in Apr and it's great. It runs on 2AA batteries or through the 12V adapter. It will accept the Navionics map chips for the boat and land based map chips for the vehicle. I also went online to gpscity.ca and bought a suction cup RAM mount with the H20C cradle.

I bought the GPS and the Navionics map chip that includes this area at Lebaron. It think it ended up costing close to $500.
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I too would recommend the Lowrance H20C. It's a great handheld unit. Easy to use and easy to see with good screen resolution.

Salar.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Thanks Guys

will look into that one for sure.

Billy Bones
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I have two handhelds, a Magellan Map330 and a Garmin Etrex Vista.
The Garmin maps and software are better, but the Magellan has way better reception - esp in the trees.

If I had to keep only one, I would keep the Magellan for the reception while hunting. But if it was only going to be used only in a boat, the Garmin would get the nod because of the improved maps and software.

Cheers
Last edited by Out4trout on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I have a Garmin map60c. I love this unit! It worked great even in my house or truck. I use it on the boat via a mount and it is connected to my vhf radio giving my position to coast guard at all times.

I also use it in my truck to navigate hwy's. Just enter the address and the unit has turn by turn dirctions.