Handheld GPS unit

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Handheld GPS unit

Post by Billy Bones »

Hello Guys

am looking to pick up a handheld GPS unit. One that can do double duty, fishing Lake Ontario and hunting. Any recommendations.

Thanks
Billy Bones :D
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

I'd recommend the Lowrance iFinder Hunt C. The iFinder is a great unit. I've got the iFinder h2O and it's served me well over the last couple years.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoo ... ER-Hunt-C/

Cheers,

Salar.
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

I agree with Salar, I also have an H20, buy the navionics map and you're all set.
Not so sure about GPS for hunting as I have had issues with maintaining a track due to tree cover / terrain interfering with GPS signals.
On the water - no issues.
Musky Angler
Participant
Participant

Handheld GPS

Post by Musky Angler »

I have had the Garmin Legend CX for a couple of years; this thing is awesome. I use the unit for 3 main tasks. I have all of my waypoints charted for both fishing and deer hunting. The unit is very accurate is this matter. Lastly, I use the Garmin in my vehicle. I had to purchase the additional software for all of the roads and attractions, but it is definately worth the funds. With the maps loaded, the unit is presents itself very clean and accurately. I find the GPS to be very fast with no lag time when satallites are lost and acquired. With regard to battery life; it is awesome. I use the unit primarily with the screen on full power and I still get numerous hours out of 2 rechargeable AA batteries. I would recommend this unit time and again.
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I own a Garmin map60. Great unit! I use it just about everwhere I go. Hunting, fishing, even on the road as it mounts to my dash, boat and atv.

I have add on software that give the unit turn by turn directions. For hunting and fishing I use Topo software also an add on.

Garmin gets my vote :D
gmctruck
Participant
Participant

Post by gmctruck »

I bought the Garmin 60CSx two hunting seasons ago and it has been awesome for hunting, fishing, driving, and flying across the country ... colour screen, expandable memory, SiRF receiver etc. I've never had a problem acquiring satellites even in thick canopy cover. In fact I was in my basement laundry room with no windows, and I still acquired satellites!! I highly recommend the Canadian Topographical Maps and City Navigator software. I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for an awesome all-purpose GPS unit.

Cheers,
Ian
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I have the H20C as well. I chose it over one of the color Garmin models because the Navionics map chip works in both Lowrance and Hummingbird fish finders. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Both can tell you where you are/where you are going/how to get back and have excellent color displays.

Doug
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

Definitely get one with a colour screen. Without it it's hard to tell between the streams and roads.....
RandyLinden
Participant
Participant

Post by RandyLinden »

The Lowrance Expedition C is a good choice, it's a bit less costly than the HuntC. The Expedition C has a Electronic Compass and Altimeter. It can use Topo maps as well as Navionics.
Fisher Dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisher Dude »

Anyone have a Magellan eXplorist 210?

http://www.magellangps.com/products/pro ... RODID=1248

I'm leaning toward it or the Lowrance H2O
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

My concern with the eXplorist 210 is that you are limited to the 22MB of on board memory. It does not have an expansion slot for memory cards. You need to transfer maps, way points & tracks from your computer by USB cable.
I usually have about 500MB of data on the micro SD chip in my Garmin GPSmap 76CSx. This is made up of street maps, topo maps and lake maps so I don't have to check to make sure I have the right maps loaded every time I go out.

Jim
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Hey Guys....I'm also in the market for a GPS....it's time to get out of the stone age and retire my trusty 15yr old Magellan 315...It's going to be a coin toss between the Garmin and Lowrance...

Anyone know what the difference is between the Garmin 60CX and 76CX other then the memory card size, floatable if dropped in the water and waterproof housing that the 76CX offers????.....and does the Garmin have a 12V adapter like the Lowrance H20??
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

TMH,

The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx & 76CSx do have a 12V adapter available.
Either can use a microSD card up to 2GB. I find a 1GB card holds all the data I need. The cards that come with them are small...you will want bigger (I bought a 2GB card for $40 last week for my wife's new camera phone).
I bought the 76 because it floats. If I didn't have a boat I would have bought the 60 as the case seems more rugged.

Jim
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Combo unit or two seperate units

Post by High Noon »

Not to confuse the situation but here is my question. I am looking to buy a new fish sonar this week-end (humminbird). Colour or monochrome? Is it better to buy a sonar unit with the gps built in or is it better to buy the sonar and the gps unit seperately. I am thinking if I get them seperately I can use the hand held unit to find the back lakes more easily. What do you all think?

Thanks

High Noon