Connect stuff to deep cycle or cranking battery?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
hocman
Participant
Participant

Connect stuff to deep cycle or cranking battery?

Post by hocman »

Hi

I have 3 batteries in my boat 1 cranking dual purpose battery and 2 deep cycle batteries connected in parallel. Currently i run my trolling motor off the deep cycles and my fish finder off the cranking. I am adding another fish finder and a cd player should i run both fish finders and cd player off the cranking battery or connect them to the deep cycles?

I'm a little concerned with running them off the cranking battery since it's possible all 3 could be running all day, i would not want to kill the cranking battery while on the water. Any advise would be appreciated.

Hocman
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

start your engine and charge the battery up,are you still fishing all day?,if not it will stay charged when you change spots or high idle the engine.you can also run a fishfinder all wknd. on a late modelhonda civic battery,they are the size of a motorcycle battery.
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

You may get some interference on your fish finder if you run it off the trolling motor battery ( interference can occur when the trolling motor is running)
hocman
Participant
Participant

Post by hocman »

I'll hook the fish finder to the cranking battery but for the people that have stereo's are you running them off the deep cycle or cranking?
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

Run my stereo and fish-finder off the cranking battery and haven't had any problems so far. I've found you don't have to run the main motor too long to keep the battery charged up. Mind you, I use a deep cycle for my cranking battery but I don't really think it would make much of a difference either way.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I have everything but my motor hooked up to my deep cycle.

Not saying its right or wrong, just how I do it. I don't think I have any interference however my electronics are kind of old and I really don't know how to use them that well.