Suzuki Outboards - Opinions???

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
jcorrigan
Participant
Participant

Suzuki Outboards - Opinions???

Post by jcorrigan »

Thinking about buying a little runabout...it's got a suzuki engine on it (55hp) and wondered if anybody had any experiences or opinions about this brand and it's outboards.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I'm not sure about their 2 strokes, but a few years ago they converted everything to 4 stroke, and since then everything I have heard about them has been very positive. Suzuki made 4 stroke engines for OMC under the Johnson name, and I have owned a 140 hp unit for the past 9 years - one of the best engines I have ever owned. My only concern with buying a Suzuki brand would be servicing, as they have very few dealers, and getting parts may be a problem.
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

I had a 40 hp Suzuki on a 16 ft. Misty River and it was fantastic. Ran it for 4 years without a problem and was told this winter at the boat show that the combo is still working well. i traded it in 10 years ago on my Lund package.
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

I've had a 115 HP two-stroke Suzuki on my 18' aluminum bass boat for about 10 years now (its a late 80s model).

Absolutely no complaints. Has always run great. The only negative is something that someone already mentioned - availabilty of service. As a former Montrealer, I had a couple of places that both services and sold Suzuki outboard parts.

I don't know of any in the Ottawa area. For that matter, if anyone knows of any place that maintains Suzukis (and can order parts), do share!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Grey_Thunder wrote:I've had a 115 HP two-stroke Suzuki on my 18' aluminum bass boat for about 10 years now (its a late 80s model).

Absolutely no complaints. Has always run great. The only negative is something that someone already mentioned - availabilty of service. As a former Montrealer, I had a couple of places that both services and sold Suzuki outboard parts.

I don't know of any in the Ottawa area. For that matter, if anyone knows of any place that maintains Suzukis (and can order parts), do share!
Try: http://www.carsonstoys.com/
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

I have a DF115 and 9.9Kicker and they are great. Quiet and reliable. I had a yamaha beforehand and I would say they are comparable.

DH