Trolling Motors

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Trolling Motors

Post by Bass Seeker »

First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Question, does anyone have experience with the Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 or the Motorguide Wireless series bow mount and if so, what's your opinion. I'm looking for a bow mount which I can control from the stern. The V2 I see has a foot control on a long cable, the Motorguide of course is wireless but that in itself concerns me, more electronics to fail. Both are around $550 US and I'd prefer not to spend more.
Thanks
Mike
FISH_HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by FISH_HUNTER »

I've got a 70lb Powerdrive V2 and I really like it and haven't had any trouble with it. I mainly use it for slow trolling spinners and bottom bouncing. The long cord is perfect for the way I use it.(Sitting at the wheel and forward trolling). The co-pilot would be a nice addition but I don't need it.
Hope this helps,

FISH HUNTER
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I think that this reply will expose me as a spazz... more so than any other post.

I had a Powerdrive V2 on my previous boat. I bought it from a guy on installments through the winter for $500. He used it twice... it had the long shaft (57" I think) and it was a 45lb.

I traded it after using it about 6 times for a transom mount.

:-(

I could not get used to the foot controls for the life of me. I would end up picking it up and using the foot controls in my hands like a game controller... I was SO embarrassed. I would see other boaters and drop it to the floor immediately. I mean... I am from the video gamer generation... but the foot controls.. for me, were so counter intuitive for me, I hated it!!!

I don't know if other brands are any better with their layout of the foot controls, but I just could not get used to the Minn Kota.

Craig
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

trolling motor

Post by boogie »

My buddy also uses it with his hands, stands behind his seat, folds the backrest down and places it on the back, that way he can fish his spinners with both feet on the bottom. No more loosing control when the pleasure boats come out
Boogie
Poisson On !
FISH_HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by FISH_HUNTER »

I should have added that because I fish weed lines as opposed to contour lines I don't have a ton of tight turns to make. I just set my speed and use the boats steering wheel to turn. With my big motor down it works just like a big rudder and I'm able to maneuver very well.
I also have the auto-pilot feature that works very well for holding you line although I don't use it much.
Hope this helps,

FISH HUNTER
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Mike: The powerdrive V2 is an excellent unit. The only thing that I dislike about it is if you're a run and gun type of guy. It's a real pain (as opposed to the bracket style trolling motors like the Minn Kota maxxum) to take in and out of the water. If you're mainly trolling and keeping the motor in the water for 3-5 hours at a time you'll love it. As for the pedal, nothing wrong to say about it!

Hope this helps
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Thanks!

Post by Bass Seeker »

Thanks guys! I think I'll go for the MK.
Mike
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Seems like the foot controls aren't really user friendly.

Maybe that's why on fishing shows some of the guys are barefoot... no shoes on. Might help with using the foot controls...
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I don't know about them not being user friendly... I know I am a spazz and have a hard time using them... but I have seen so many other people using them with no problem.

I think it might be like those stupid hidden 3-d pictures.... you are supposed to stare at them until you see a dolphin or a pirate ship pop out at you! I have never seen the hidden picture and am convinced that every one who says they can are lying!!! The trolling motor foot controls...same thing!

I just cant get it.

That is my limitation... not the motor. I am thinking about getting another one and trying again.

(Come to think of it... I cant snow board either... ridiculous sport anyway!)

Craig
archer379
Participant
Participant

Post by archer379 »

i had never used a bow mounted trolling motor until this last sept when i bought my 17 ft crestliner it had a similer motor to what you are looking at and i found it hard to streer and am looking for a cable steering motor now. found it turned slow. thats my opinon
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

I have tried everything for slow trolling walleye,I only use my bow mount for weeds,I tried electric on the rear,but went back to a small 2 stroke 6 hp merc.,connected to the big motor for steering,and it idles down much lower than a 4 stroke. it only sips gas and is alot better for control of the boat in the never ending wind that we had last season. plus the little amount of gas that it uses offsets the amount of battery charging that 2 electric motors require.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

the other advantage of having them connected together is that in strong wind and current,you can fire up the big motor to make sharp turns,and the little motor just follows.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

I have a 70 lb powerdrive V2 with the co-pilot and love it. The co-pilot provides tremendous flexibility. For instance, I can stand up on the bow-point (where the motor is mounted on my Lund) to get a higher view of the water, and still control the motor easily with the remote. Or, obviously from the stern without having 18' of cable to trip over. Will caution you on one thing though, even though the remote floats, it's black in color. If you lose it overboard and don't notice it missing for a minute or two, it's a son of a B*&^% to try and find. I fixed one of those floating white key fobs to mine so I won't lose it...again. I do have trouble with the foot control though. It's hard to get a feel for it with shoes or sandals but barefoot it's fine.
Bass Seeker
Participant
Participant

Post by Bass Seeker »

Thanks again guys. I'm getting the 70 lb Powerdrive but waiting until Feb 15 when Cabelas has a special starting, the Co-pilot at that time is included, at no extra charge beyond a $9.95 (US) shipping fee. Also free shipping on the motor itself. Thanks....Mike
Shepherd
Participant
Participant

Post by Shepherd »

Bass Seeker: Was just wondering if you were going to order from US or from Cabelas in Canada. The duty at the border is a killer. www.cabelas.ca