MT's 20' Boat Project

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

M.T. Livewell wrote:Thanks Joco. I've heard of Canus. I know you can get the stuff at Home Depot, but you need a second mortgage and have to give up your first born.

MT
Anything for the project MT, isn't that what you said. :wink: :lol:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Ouch MT !!

I have a 40lb powerdrive and i know exactly what you mean about the collar. It's a real pain to stow and deploy. The autopilot feature sounds great but the co-pilot i'm still not convinced unless you're trolling and using the motor for steering. When bass fishing you're up at the front anyway so i see no reason for a remote.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Back to the 20' project, well not really. Just doing some of the planning/ dreaming, that keeps me up at night.

Was thinking about a 4 stroke trolling motor. I couldn't help but notice these things are NOT CHEAP, even used.
So, it got me wondering about the 5hp briggs outboards. Anyone have one? Would it push the 20'er? Are they quiet?

thanks
MT
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I don't think they are quiet... they sure don't look it any way
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

if thats the aircooled unit, its louder than the 401.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

M.T. Livewell wrote:Back to the 20' project, well not really. Just doing some of the planning/ dreaming, that keeps me up at night.

Was thinking about a 4 stroke trolling motor. I couldn't help but notice these things are NOT CHEAP, even used.
So, it got me wondering about the 5hp briggs outboards. Anyone have one? Would it push the 20'er? Are they quiet?

thanks
MT
No good for a kicker MT...
The shaft will need to be 25" to have any bite on your 20 footer boat. You will also need a 8 or 9.9 high thrust big foot unit with an over sized prop. Yamaha and Merc are the only players in town when it comes to a true high thrust kicker.

good luck getting one cheap :shock:

cheers'

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jimmy »

M.T. Livewell wrote:Back to the 20' project, well not really. Just doing some of the planning/ dreaming, that keeps me up at night.

thanks
MT
MT
Had a 7.5hp on my 20ft aluminum..had to really rev to get her to 2.5-3mph
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Used Kicker

Post by Hoss »

Heres a link for a slightly used kicker MT. :D
http://spoonpullers.proboards42.com/ind ... 1126278159
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

An obvious question mt and one that will highly dictate how you rig your boat would be ... how do you intend to use it the most... a casting rig or trolling.. maybe the best of both worlds?

It's easier to plan before spending any money but it's good to see that's what you're doing :wink:

A 'has to have' and 'like to have' list is in order :wink:
Urbanfisherman
Participant
Participant

Post by Urbanfisherman »

This is a great thread. I think FH should have a Boat section too.

UF
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

John wrote:An obvious question mt and one that will highly dictate how you rig your boat would be ... how do you intend to use it the most... a casting rig or trolling.. maybe the best of both worlds?

It's easier to plan before spending any money but it's good to see that's what you're doing :wink:

A 'has to have' and 'like to have' list is in order :wink:
John, I think this is intended as trolling rig.If you seen the Misses after her trip out on Quinte (4-5 footers) :shock: :shock: last Saturday and her slightly greenish tint when she came in :shock: :shock: this boat is strictly a troller.

Bill,can you fit me in next year when my motor conks and I had a good time at the fire the night before :wink: :wink: . :D :D

Ron

Should be no problem with the 175 Mariner :shock: :shock: :D :D
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

Hey MT....

Just a thought, ....You are gonna be using this boat on the big water, ....forget the trolling motor, ....get the puppy decked out, .... :wink:

The only reason I'd be lookin at one, .....is to save a little gas. or have something to motor home with, ...if the big motor quits for some reason.... :roll:

I can shut my 85 down to 1.8 MPH, ...on the GPS, in smooth water, ....I"m pretty sure you don't need to go any slower, ...invest in a VHF radio to call for help if you need it.... :wink:
(It's a hell of a lot cheaper) :arrow: (ask Mark) :arrow: (okay, ....so now he's got the kicker, ...but he managed without it for a long time )

Spend the bucks on getting the boat ready, ......The kicker is a "luxury" you can add later.....
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

All very good advice boys.
John, as Scumking points out, it will be primarily a troller. Doubt I could afford the 75lb thrust 60" shaft trolling motor for the front. :(
Ron, once I get her seaworthy ... no one gets left at the dock! :D :D :D

Was wondering about the 4 stroke kicker for 2 reason ...
gas prices being the first
that 2 stroke smell being the second

I think a little of what turned Misses Livewell green was the 2 stroke smoke blowing back into the cockpit.

And, I still haven't ruled out the old 85hp motor that is sitting on the "donor boat". But it is not young, and is somewhat suspect. Like Markus, I may very well get to know the coast guard on a first name basis. :P Hppefully that all female crew will be working when I call in the PanPan, eh Markus. :wink:

MT
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

M.T. Livewell wrote: Like Markus, I may very well get to know the coast guard on a first name basis. :P Hppefully that all female crew will be working when I call in the PanPan, eh Markus. :wink:

MT
MT...

FYI for your planning...

No coast guard on Quinte, so you better hope you have a good boat. The closest boat is Prescott in the Fall. So if you have a real slow leak you will be OK :wink:

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

MT, I've never met you, but everytime I read your posts you either crack me up, or scare me half to death.

I don't know which one this thread is yet, but I'm sure I'll soon find out.

Thats quite a project you have ahead of you though.

And you've guaranteed a corner in my mind for being very close to the craziest person here, second maybe only two your wife, who stays with you through stuff like this.
Like Markus, I may very well get to know the coast guard on a first name basis. Hppefully that all female crew will be working when I call in the PanPan, eh Markus.
ESPECIALLY comments like that :D

good luck, and let me know when the first shipment of smokes hits the shore.

edited to add something I forgot to say
Last edited by BigSim on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.