25 hp Evinrude Electric

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

25 hp Evinrude Electric

Post by Billy Bones »

Hi Guys

This may be a silly question for those that know but here goes. :(

My 25 hp Evinrude Electric Start has a starter problem. The motor runs like a top but the electric start does not work. The starter spins, lots of juice in the battery, it just doesn't engage the geared flywheel.
Now here's the question.

Is the part on the electric starter that engages the flywheel activated by a salenoid? Does it sound like I need a new salenoid?

Thanks for any help :D
Billy Bones
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Viper »

BB

You said the battery has a lot of juice? Had a simliar experience this summer. The starter turned but would not engage. Turns out that battery was low (older battery) - when we got a fully charged battery on it - the starter worked fine.

Hope this helps
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Had a similar experience in the past with my 30 Evinrude. Did you reently oil it?? I have a tendency to over lubricate things and found I had the same problem after oiling the starter shaft. It eventually engaged and I had no further problems.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Thanks guys

Got it figured out, the gear at the top of the starter motor was sticking. It wouldn't come up to drive the geared flywheel. Took it apart and emery clothed the shaft so that it was nice and free, gave it a good oiling and now it works like new.

Thanks for the suggestions
Billy Bones
jiggy2006
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy2006 »

if you swap the polarity of the cables running to the battery, ie. hook up + to -ve terminal, and -ve to + terminal on the battery, the starter will spin and not engage.. hope that didnt happen!

bc.. that happen to me once!