Waterweld by JB

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Waterweld by JB

Post by Scumking »

I had a number of leaking rivets and decided to give this try.Anybody else ever try this stuff :lol:.It seems to be quite strong but who knows :?

Just want to know if in a few weeks I'll be trying something else :shock:

Thanks
Ron
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

I've never used 'Waterweld by JB'... I have used JB Weld though. JB Weld makes some amazing claims on their product which turned out to be rubbish based on my experiences with it.

Maybe 'Waterweld' is different but if their claims were garbage on the JB Weld then there is no way I'd use anything else they claim to be good.

I never would have even used it at all if I hadn't been out in the sticks and that was all buddy had.

For leaky rivets just drill them out, get new closed-end pop rivets at the Tool & Equipment store/fastener place on Robertson Rd and add some 3M marine sealant on the rivets and hole before you pop.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Waterweld by JB

Post by cprince »

Scumking wrote:I had a number of leaking rivets and decided to give this try.Anybody else ever try this stuff :lol:.It seems to be quite strong but who knows :?

Just want to know if in a few weeks I'll be trying something else :shock:

Thanks
Ron
No problems here. I have herd many bad reports about the stuff since I used it but found out that it was improperly applied or the wrong product used.

Make certain that you take a wire brush on a drill and bring the area down to bare metal. After that wash down with vinegar and water. Make certain that you mix it properly. Smooth it over with a wet hand.

I also applied epoxy paint over top of it to protect it. Been a year and a LOT of use.... no problem.

I used StarBrite on mine and not JB weld, but they are the same thing as long as they say that they are specifically formulated for use on Aluminum... if it does not say specifically on the packaging "For use on aluminum", forget it!! There are many different formulas out there for different metals.

Craig
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I repaired an annoying leak on my 12' cartopper 2 years with..."Mighty Putty"....I tried JB Weld and it didn't do the job....I am really impressed with this putty stuff and you can use it on a wet area...I keep a tube of it in my tackle box!!

https://www.mightyputty.com/flare/next
hocman
Participant
Participant

Post by hocman »

WallyPro wrote:I've never used 'Waterweld by JB'... I have used JB Weld though. JB Weld makes some amazing claims on their product which turned out to be rubbish based on my experiences with it.

Maybe 'Waterweld' is different but if their claims were garbage on the JB Weld then there is no way I'd use anything else they claim to be good.

I never would have even used it at all if I hadn't been out in the sticks and that was all buddy had.

For leaky rivets just drill them out, get new closed-end pop rivets at the Tool & Equipment store/fastener place on Robertson Rd and add some 3M marine sealant on the rivets and hole before you pop.
+1 on this. In my experience the putty will eventually get sheared of when going wot especially if on rough water. I recently repaired using closed end aluminum pop rivets and 3M 5200 after initaly trying the quick set aluminum junk.

Make sure to get closed end aluminum pop rivets though, i got apprx 300 for $30 from Capital Truck Bodies on Startop Rd, Ottawa and $11 for a tube of 3M 5200 from Pirate Cove marina.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Canadian Tire has the 3M Sealant as well.