Ontario / Quebec License (Border Water - Ottawa River)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Crawler
Participant
Participant

Ontario / Quebec License (Border Water - Ottawa River)

Post by Crawler »

For your information:

Did you guys know that fishing the Ottawa River with a NON-resident Quebec license does not permit me to legally fish the Ontario portion of the Ottawa River unless I possess an Ontario resident fishing licence?

I have to pay full fee for Non Resident Quebec License and then again for the Ontario resident license to fish both sides !

Ontario laws prevent me from fishing legaly on the Ontario side of the river using a Quebec License. If I live in Quebec I can !

Example: In the Winter time I can use 5 lines on the Quebec side but only 2 lines on the Ontario side. If I live in Quebec I can fish everywhere using 5 lines...Nice...very nice !

Be careful !

Post by Guest »

My understanding is that if you are out in a boat on the Ottawa river, either license is applicable. You just need one, not both. However, if you are fishing from shore, you must have the appropriate license depending on which shoreline you are fishing from (Quebec for Quebec shoreline, and Ontario for Ontario shoreline).

I don't however know how the law works for ice fishing. I would presume it is the same as the "boat" license law in that on the ice, you just need one license, not both.

On another note, in my opinion, more than one line per angler on any water body should not be permitted. There is just no need for it. The fishing pressure is bad enough as it is, let alone letting anglers use more than one line. I can't wait for the day that the OMNR institutes a 1-rod per angler regulation province wide. If we keep pressuring our fisheries the way that we are, the day will inevitably come.

HW
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crawler
Participant
Participant

Enforcement Supervisor - E-mail Response

Post by Crawler »

REPLY FROM MNR OFFICE - Enforcement Supervisor
==================================
Marc,

The provinces of Ontario and Quebec have a reciprocal agreement that allows
people possessing a resident fishing licence to angle on either side of the
provincial border. The condition that has to be met is the person must
possess a resident licence.

In your situation, you may fish only on the Quebec portion of the Ottawa
River as you do not meet the requirements of the reciprocal agreement. You
will have to purchase an Ontario resident fishing licence if you wish to
fish on the Ontario portion. If you purchase the Ontario resident fishing
licence, you will be entitled to fish anywhere on the Ottawa River i.e. both
the Ontario and Quebec portions.

If you are uncertain as to the location of the inter-provincial boundary
where you fish, I would suggest you purchase an accurate map to ensure you
are aware of its location.

Please don't hesitate in contacting me if you have any other questions in
regards to fishing in the District.

Steve Aubry
Enforcement Supervisor
Kemptville District

Post by Guest »

Interesting. Thanks for the post, that's great information to have.

HW
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

The (subtle) thing to note here is that SDB is referring to NON-resident licenses... but as HW said, either provinces resident licences will permit you to fish in "common/shared" waters... (and I believe you're right that this applies as long as you're in a boat, and not on shore).

cheers,
tallpaul
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I have a cottage in Quebec but it is on the Ottawa River. I was told I do not need a Quebec Fishing license as long as I stay on the Ottawa River, is this true?

I was worried because I'm not leaving from Ontario to fish, I'm leaving from Quebec.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

On a somewhat related topic - did we ever find out definitively whether an Ontario "Conservation" fishing license was permitted on the Quebec side of the river? I remember a while back there was some uncertainty about it, and I don't remember it ever getting resolved.

Post by Guest »

Snag,

As long as you have the Ontario resident license, you can fish anywhere on the Ottawa River. According to Stu's information, it is when you possess a non-resident license that jurisdiction plays a part. For example, if you live in Ontario, and bought a non-resident Quebec license (but don't have the Ontario resident license), you are only allowed to fish the Quebec side.

If you possess either a Quebec or Ontario resident license, you can fish on the Ottawa river. Therefore, if you live in Ontario, and have an Ontario license, you can fish anywhere in Ontario, including the entire Ottawa river (Quebec side included). If you venture into Quebec however, you need to get the non-resident Quebec license.

Stu, can you foward the email address of the MNR officer to me? I'll contact him to get complete clarification. You can email it to davemaslen@muskiescanada.ca. Thanks!

HW
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ok but???????

Post by JP »

As long as you have the Ontario resident license, you can fish anywhere on the Ottawa River. According to Stu's information, it is when you possess a non-resident license that jurisdiction plays a part. For example, if you live in Ontario, and bought a non-resident Quebec license (but don't have the Ontario resident license), you are only allowed to fish the Quebec side.
If u are going to be keeping any fish u must have a license on the side that u will come to shore on. If u set foot on shore on the quebec side with only an Ontario license and u have fish, u are considered to be poaching and visa versa with Ontario. If u don't keep any fish, thats ok.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Crawler
Participant
Participant

It kills me !

Post by Crawler »

What kills me is how the line is defined.

What if I'm trolling in the middle of the river.....I could cross that line...what tham line...

One officer went as far as telling me to buy a GPS unit to find the "LINE"
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI everyone

like h.w. said you can fish the ottawa wit the 2 off theme,,,,,,but
there a thing,,,,,, i think you need the license where you go in,,,,
if you park your car and trailer on quebec side you need quebec
licence (i think)

joco :?
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Thanks for the info H.W. and JP!
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

StuDuBeast

I'm not too familiar with Ottawa area but, isn't Rockland in Ontario?

If you have an Ontario fishing liscense, you are a resident. Therefore, you meet the requirement mentionned in the reply sent to you by the conservation officer.

A big part of the problem is that Quebec and Ontario have a different definition of resident. In Ontario, all Canadians (Quebecers included of course) are considered resident. Quebec regulations only accepts Quebec residents as a resident. That's why you have a non-resident license.

Since you are (I believe) an Ontario resident, get an Ontario license, and as long as you launch from Ontario you'll be able to fish wherever you want on the Ottawa River.

In my opinion, unless you fish other lakes in Quebec more then in Ontario, your simply holding the wrong license for your needs.