How To Preserve Your Precious Garments

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: How to catch carp fish using lures/other baits

Post by zippyfx »

Generally carp are caught by bottom fishing. Specifically using a bolt rig (which you can google or youtube). Basically its a hook on a 6-12 inch leader with a sliding weight above a swivvel usually 1-3 oz no roll lead depending on water conditions (you can also use a three way swivel with a 6-8 inch line to a fixed weight). In Candian waters where carp are not heavily pressured you do not need a hair rig. Simple corn or bait threaded onto a hook will work but hair rigs improve percentages.

The preffered bait is corn (canned corn will do). The reason it is preffered is that it reduces the amount of by catch a worm causes. But in an area with few panfish worms work great. Corn can also be used to chum the area and draws in fish.... I generally chum first and the cast into the center of the chummed area.

A circle hook #6 or #8 is preffered with bait on the hook. Be sure the hook point is exposed. Due to the feeding method of the carp, sucking and spitting, of deterius off the bottom. It works two ways :

(1) feed and run: The fish takes the hook and bait and turns to leave, the weight pulls the hook once the fish has started to move and the circle hook catches the lip.
(2) feed and spit: The fish continually sucks food in and out mouthing it and spitting it out. On the way out the circle hook pokes the lip which panics the fish and the hook is set when the fish turns and "bolts". hence the name bolt rig.

Fishing for carp in Europe is a science with very elaborate techniques in Canada you do not need most of them and can get away with keeping it simple.
roccoreid
Participant
Participant

Post by roccoreid »

Carp fishing is big back in the UK. Might be worth checking out UK forums or websites. Been a few years since I was there but fishing for carp attracts strange people who spend 24 hrs watching their poles and using a catapult to send sweetcorn and small balls of filthy bait in to an area.

Each to their own.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Your post inspired me to target a carp - once boat launches and marinas provide waterway access amidst Covid. Haven't caught one of those hogs since I was a kid when fishing consisted of a worm on hook. I remember it being like I was snagged on a log. Thinking I'll throw some niblets in a zip lock and when the bass aren't biting, park the lures and bait a hook to cast near one of these brutes basking in the sunny shallows.

Reminds me of the fun fishing brought - before I became a (not all that skilled) bass, pike, and musky fisherman. I mean I like relying on nothing but sorted lures to attract an exhilarating bucketmouth top-water strike, or a pike's murderous assault, or musky's stealthy follow and hit. All awesome stuff but there was a certain simple adventure in hauling up various beautiful freaks: catfish, mooneyes, sheepshead from the murky depths. Definitely must make some time for a worm and a hook amidst my more refined fishing...

Stay healthy,

Howie